Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: controlling logged in time

controlling logged in time

I have a client that needs to control how long public machines are in use. I cant seem to find anything on google that fits the needs. Something with a free trial would be nice, or perhaps someone has a Idea how to do this? the server is nt 4.0 and the clients are XP pro.
    I need to restrict them to 1/2 hour blocks of time... any ideas out there?
    Thanks in advance.

Avenger
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

The Iceman Cometh
    So you want the machines to log off after a certain amount of time? I remember setting that up for a client a long time ago on NT 4 Workstations, so I'm assuming it's still possible under XP. I'll try to figure out what I did on one of my NT boxes and see if the same applies to 2000/XP and let you know.

AJ

this is probably useless but in win2k AD users and computers you can:

set permissable logon hours
    set active session limit...what you want i think
    idle session limit
    disconnect and reconnect options

i guess the point is that it's all set up in the user account properties...whether you can do this with nt4...i know not...
    I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson

The Iceman Cometh
    I realize this isn't much help to you at the moment, but I found instructions for what Zigar was talking about, but they only apply to a Windows 2000 server, since NT 4 doesn't have Active Directory.

HOW TO: Limit User Logon Time in a Domain in Windows 2000

AJ

hmm, thanks for the help guys, Ill look into it, but I think in NT 40 you can only allow logins in certain hours, I dont think it has maximum login time per session.
    Remember -

I recently took a course on NT 4.0, and if I'm not mistaken ( I accept corrections gracefully ), one can set logon times in Poledit,
    either through (l)user logon properties (more likely) or through systems policies. They would be logging on to a domain, correct?

anyhoo, just throwing my .$.05 in ( $.02 Canadian plus exchange and Customs duties ;-)

Zaddikim
    You can lead a yak to water, but you can\'t teach an old dog
    to make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke
    -Berke Breathed/ Opus The Penguin

yes you can set logon times in NT 4.0, which will control when users can log on. But I need to control how LONG they are logged in. They are to be logged into the domain no longer than 1/2 hour at a time. So I need either a solution in NT or a third party program that will kick them out after 30 min
    Remember -

Are you using a domain or Active Directory??? If so there is an option in which you can control how long and when they can login.

make it part of their script if you or someone you know is good at scripting you can "set" a clock to manually drop the ip that forces them out check out http://www.kixtart.org/ for some guidelines or http://www.kixscripts.com/ for more scripting abilities these are free and you can update them to your needs.

I used to be With IT. But then they changed what IT was. Now what I'm with isn't IT, and what's IT seems scary and weird." - Abe Simpson