Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What in your opinion could justify torture?

What in your opinion could justify torture?

UNITED NATIONS (AP) - Concerned about the possibility of independent visits to U.S. civilian and military prisons, the United States sought Wednesday to block a vote on a U.N. plan meant to enforce a convention on torture.
    Among the U.S. concerns is language that could allow for international and independent visits to U.S. prisons and to terror suspects being held by the U.S. military at Guantanamo Bay Naval Base in Cuba.
    http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp.../un_torture_14

I would like to find out everyone's opinion, and why they are for or against the use torture.
    For example, would you be willing to pull someone's nails out if you thought you could either find out something important from the person being tortured or "coerce" them or whatever. What would be your reasons and so on and so forth...

Input is greatly appreciated.
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

Personally I wouldn't have the stomach to torture someone. I can't imagine doing physical harm to someone who was defenseless. If I were personally and directly threatened, I could defend myself, but I don't think I could actually torture someone. Unless they had done something to my son. Then I could....but only then.

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

The only way I could justify torture is if they torured someone else. Then it would be payback for them. Other then that I am against torture.
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

The Iceman Cometh
    I agree with Casper. For instance, this Avila character, who kidnapped, molested and killed the young girl in Southern California... I think he should be tortured. I don't agree with torture just to get information. There are better ways to get that information, ways which don't include any sort of physical abuse... mental abuse works much better. I've always believed in "an eye for an eye" when it comes to punishment. If someone does something horrible to someone else, they deserve to get it back, somtimes at an even greater degree depending on the crime.

AJ

To avdven....
    but how do you exactly define mental torture?
    Also are you saying that mental torture is better than physical torture? And how?
    \"When I give food to the poor, they call me a saint. When I ask why the poor have no food, they call me a communist.\" -- Dom Helder Camara

I think the point is the US holds up a standard and works with the UN and is part of it and US troops have and will as many others fault many countires and how they treat people. So we demand much if we have nothing to hide then this vote means little. Nope we fight it demand of others to judge them and then asked to be excused no one should question the US?
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

The Iceman Cometh
    Mahakaal, by mental torture I mean to attack the individual mentally and emotionally. To wear them down until they are mentally exhausted through verbal attacks, threats... "Psychological warfare" if you will. Once they are mentally and emotionally drained, they will be much more open to divulging information in return for a favor.

Physical torture is out-dated. Hell, if we need to, we can use certain types of drugs and serums that will induce them to tell the truth. Why physically beat someone, etc. when you can get the same information simply by talking to them?

I hope that answers your question.

AJ

GreekGoddess
    First of all, I'm completely against torture. There are less-violent means, as avdven mentioned above in the form of sodium pentothal (deemed as torture by the UN).
    I honestly don't think a person should have to be tortured to talk. It's not humane.

And what kind of guidelines will these 'administrators' follow when torturing a person? Who will decide who will get tortured and who won't? How do you know you're not torturing an innocent dark skinned individual, stereotyped towel head who refused to talk to you? What happened to trials and being innocent until proven guilty? I realize that they are 'prisoners of war' but that shouldn't justify violent means, war itself is violent enough.

I read an article a while back on how the US planned to send these prisoners to other countries to be tortured, such as Egypt. Doesn't that make us just as guilty for sending them there to be tortured? Even if it's not by our own hands, does that make it right? It's like the death penalty, sure...the convicted sentenced to death may have killed 10 innocent people, but what gives that one person the authority to pull the switch without committing the same crime?

There are so many angles to this situation, but no matter what a person did, physical, nor mental torture just doesn't seem to be the answer. And although I don't have a solution, there has to be a better way.

Personally I feel that torture in the context of military and/or covert operations attempts to coerce or persuade individuals of the opposing force into giving up vital intelligence. I light of that understanding, I believe there are less violent and perhaps more useful ways of achieving this information. No human being should be forced to undergo torture of any kind, regardless of the circumstances. Now, I am not saying that I wouldn't feel the need to shove bamboo shutes underneath the fingernails of the assailant that raped my daughter or murdered my parents (hypothetically speaking of course), but the after-effects are always different than we forsee. Initial rage feels good at the time, however the aftertaste is quite bitter. I would rather not experience that kind of regret.

-The Eeshman

What is mental torture? Humm it is being blind folded hands bound put on an air plane flown to a place you know nothing of. Your beard is shaved as your head in spite of it being known is against whom they know as their god and devotion to him. Placed in the open air but with a roof in a 5x8 chain link cell and do not know how to ask to use a rest room. I have no answer but see even if people are hostile they are human and deserve the diginity of being a human not because of what I feel but because they should be allowed to feel their way. I am against all torture and see my country doing so and asked to be excused cause well we are at war. Of all the wars I know of have seen this is the worst because the US is now doing the very things so many fought for and died in so many wars. There is not an excuse our current goverment can give me that will change what I know is wrong. Then I was around when his daddy ran things. I vote, and simply say to all the people on this site from so many countries that it is not the American people it is those we voted into office actions, given time it will be delt with elections not and two more years and I remember lots of stuff Oh Torture Is Always Wrong In Any Form!
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg