Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Image Printing Issue

Question Image Printing Issue

Ok I am lost on this one. Right now I'm working on a project here at the library where we are scanning in old newspapers anywhere from the 1820's up until the 1950's. We are scanning in the images on Epson Expression 1640XL scanners which are being saved as (archival sized) TIFF images using Adobe Photoshop 7. After we have the TIFF images created, we are downsizing them to "screen sized" JPG images so that they can be printed on 1-3 pages.

Here's the catch though, nothing more than the first page will display in print preview or will print out. You can open the image fine in the default XP Image View program, or in IE or Netscape and view the whole entire image as it should be. Though say an image is 20 inches wide, 8 inches in height, the printout or in print preview you will only see what will fit on page one. It's really bugging me, I've been at this for a few days now.

The only reason I care is because I'm just part of the crew scanning the images, then the images are given off to other people to actually sit and create the website (as it has been explained to me) These JPG images have to be able to be printed off the Internet.

Here's what I've gone through as of today:

- Searched the web, the closest thing I could find was a page on Microsoft knowledge base which can be found here. Though I found it interesting that you can't really get the hot fix in an easy way.

- Tried using a version of XP without Service Pack 1 installed, straight OSX, Windows 98 Second Edition, and Windows 2000 with/without SP3, still the same thing.

- Tried using the default scanning program that comes with Windows XP Pro, still the same thing (even viewed on the above listed OSs)

- Tried opening the images in MS Paint and saving them again as JPG images, still the same thing

- Tried updating IE6 with the latest version, nothing.

- Tried taking the image and actually building it into an HTML document using DreamWeaver MX, still the same thing.

- Tried using IE version 4-6, Netscape versions 6-7, and Safari (not sure on the version), and all the print/print preview the same way

- Tried different computers, different OSs in general, and trying to print to different printers... same thing.

Basically I'm burnt out from this operation. All I'm looking for is an understanding of why it will only view page one. I'm not a big web programmer or anything, but I've printed out pages before and it would just tile to the next page if it was longer width or height wise. So I'm clueless here, maybe there is a keyword I'm missing in searching on the web, or something simple I'm overlooking.

When all else fails, I figure it's a good time to rack other people's brains about it. If anyone has had this problem again, or might know of a fix or some way of getting this to work... I would be very grateful! Like I said before, I am just stressing over this issue a little too much and think it's time for someone else's input on the problem.

Thank you...
    ~AciD

PS. I have attached one of the images in the collection that I'm using. So if you want to try it for yourself and let me know.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]

Just a little note, since Zonewalker brought this to my attention. Incase anyone would like to download the TIFF images themselves, I put some up on my FTP server for now. I have two JPGs and a few TIFFs, they all range in size. Sorry it's on my home server for now, DSL upload speeds. The account informatoin is as follows:

FTP site: ftp.binacs.dynu.com
    login: images
    pass: password

I know it's simple and what not, but it's only got read access plus I will keep an eye on who's downloading what.

Just an update...
    ~AciD
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    [/shadow]

I see what you mean i can view and see the whole image but when you print it it don't print the whole image.Did you try scaled printing i use to do this kinda stuff for a living on Xerox 3030 Copier it a lot more easier with them,But anyways I'll try to work on it tonight.
    I had to google 'jfgi' to see what it meant. The irony is overwhelming.

believe me I wish I could... but the thing is whenever we make the JPG images, that is the size that the "people" want the image at to be printed. It's just for readability reasons. But you're having the same problems too? Well at least then I know it's not an issue internally! Hehehe *pulls hair out more*

thanks for the feedback cdkj!

[edit] here's a thought that came through my head. It's been a long time since I have ever tried printing BIG images off the web, or anywhere. Typically I leave everything digital, but that's on my person computer. So I was sitting here thinking, the last time I had to print anything BIG was back in the Win95/98 days... Could it be that the newer software limits you from printing an images bigger than a page, just for some sort of "safety" reason? So I pose another question to the general public... has anyone been able to print any one image bigger than one page? Whether it be from the web, a digital camera, etc? If so, how did you go about doing it, and what system/hardware was involved?

Just a thought...
    ~AciD
    [/shadow]

This how i did it through iexplorer i what to page setup and did this

scaled printing

page size 11x17 (scaled print)

scaling 82%

printer paper size custom

when you go to print preview you get the whole image then print it out the image will print as the image preview I hope this works for you i have images to show how i did it but i'm having trouble uploading them to here.This got me start today i wasn't going to giveup until i figure it out lol

Thanks, but like I said the JPG images are to the size that we are supposed to use, so I really can't use anything that uses scaling. Thanks for the thought though, believe me I wish it could be that easy!

To me I just don't understand why IE won't tile anymore, is there an update that caused that maybe I missed in reading about or what?

*pulls hair out some more* but thanks again cdkj, you are being very helpful!

Always great working with the AO crew...
    ~AciD
    [/shadow]

Let me try again without the scaled print to see what happens the kids are in bed now so it alot easy to do and faster lol

let me know how it goes. So far my friends and I and some AOers have tried printing the TIF and JPGs, neither will print more than what fits on 1 page. I just wish I knew if it was an encoding issue or something. My boss says I'm nuts, he says that you can't print an image bigger than what fits on a page anyway. But I don't know, that doesn't sound logical.
    [/shadow]

It can be done were i use to work (i quit due to a disagree) i did litigation for major company's

there were times i had to take say 11x17 image and make it fit on to a 8 x11 1/4 paper that was easy to due b/c that just reducing the image but when i had to do newpaper images and put them on to 8x11 and make them still readable i would go nuts i was just learning how to do blowback printing and Scanning Services to transfer paper documents to digital images before i quit i still got a good friend that work there i give him a call tomorrow night hes off tonight.We both work the graveyard shift.

Acid - at work at the moment but to answer one of your questions.... I have a few pages on my personal website which are bigger than 1 side of A4 ... you can print them off but it tiles the image to 2 pages automatically - thats using XP and IE 6 and also printing from from PhotoShop. The image printed from the web was originally scanned into PS using a fairly standard A4 flatbed scanner. So I don't think that newer software has a 'safety'limiter on it. Your boss saying that you can't print somethingoff thats larger than 1 side of paper isn't totally accurate - if the software supports automatic tiling (and most of it does these days) onto a second page then you can print off something larger than a side of paper

anyway hope to mess around further with the images tonight

Z
    Could it be that the newer software limits you from printing an images bigger than a page, just for some sort of "safety" reason? So I pose another question to the general public... has anyone been able to print any one image bigger than one page? Whether it be from the web, a digital camera, etc? If so, how did you go about doing it, and what system/hardware was involved?
    EDIT... hmm interesting... I've just tried printing one of the larger images from my website on a PC at work (win98 running IE5.5) and it has the same problem as you're experiencing with your images i.e. cuts off part of the image and won't print more than one page.... it definitely doesn't do this on my box at home running XP and IE6 - what version of IE are you guys using.. if it's less than IE6 I'd be inclined to suggest (at this point) that this is where the problem lies. Gotta go for now work calls

Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes