Thread: same IP address?

same IP address?

i have two friends (if there are really two) who have been emailing me, at my hotmail acct..... i had my options set to show the originating IP of anyone who sends me emails.... and i see that both of them have the same IP address,..... i read that there is no same IP address.... could it be hotmail is just showing me the IP address of their ISP, thats why i see the same originating IP address from both of them? they both live in florida (thats what they said) .. and both uses the same ISP ... or is this person just trying to fool me with her two identities?

Well, is the person using something like outlook or web based e-mail? If it is web based, then you probably aren't seeing their IP address. And the most likely answer I can think of is that most broadband providers today send all their connections through a single proxy, usually located in a head office. But you could also be seeing their SMTP server IP address, it might help if you posted a bit of the header here. I am sure somebody will offer more help soon, but try this, get the IP, do a trace, or as close as you can, a whois, and check out the ISP. And then see if the ISP is a broadband provider.

When you enable the show ip and that info you reccieve this heading

MIME-Version: 1.0
    X-Originating-IP: [xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx]
    Received: from xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx by lw12fd.law12.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP;Wed, 24 Jul 2002 17:41:06 GMT

the xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx is the ip of the sender
    lw12fd.law12.hotmail.msn.com this is the server from were it came which can change

yes she is using a web-based email ,,,, hotmail too ..... and her ISP in roadrunner, which i guess is a broadband connection

this is how my message header looks like from the Miss X

X-Originating-IP: [65.32.140.11]
    Received: from 65.32.140.11 by lw9fd.law9.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP;Wed, 12 Jun 2002 20:46:36 GMT

and this how my message header looks like from Miss Y.

X-Originating-IP: [65.32.140.11]
    Received: from 65.32.140.11 by lw9fd.law9.hotmail.msn.com with HTTP;Fri, 28 Jun 2002 22:53:49 GMT

so do you any of you think Miss X and Miss Y is just one person?
    thanks for your help, guys....

Old Fart
    Here...ran a traceroute for ya...hope it helps.
    BTW...it originated out of Tampa Fl.

Name: 6532140hfc11.tampabay.rr.com
    IP Address: 65.32.140.11
    Network: Road Runner-Southeast

Registrant:
    Road Runner HoldCo, LLC (RR6-DOM)
    13241 Woodland Park Rd
    Herndon, VA 20171
    US
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

IP/Header

hey robert_brandy
    Go thru these threads, you will know eaxactly what is going on!!

1-IP Addresses: What are they and how do i find them http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=115392

2-IP header explained
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=131474

Bingo!!