Thread: ntfs

ntfs

Hello, I recently had windows xp running ntfs, but it kept screwing up so i reloaded windows 98 onto a different hard drive. Is there any way i can convert the older hard drive to fat32 so i can access the files that were stored on it previously?

Thanks
    Theres no need to fear, BlazeTech is here

Exclamation Xp sux! :)

Argh, I hate the NTFS-format!
    Well, I got the same problem and the only way out is to build in another HDD runnin' XP (that sux!) and the copy all data on the FAT-thirtytwo HDD.

May there's an easier way using "Partition Magic" or some sh#t like that but my way worx

Engaging
    Tektodon

Just Another Geek
    You cannot convert an NTFS partition to a FAT32. There are drivers you can load in Win98 that will let you read/write NTFS. Check out http://www.sysinternals.com/win9x/98utilities.shtml

Originally posted here by Tektodon
    Argh, I hate the NTFS-format!
    Why? Just because you don't know how it works?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

hmm i know u cant convert an ntfs partition to fat32 but u can replace an ntfs with fat32..
    just run fdisk and delete the ntfs partition then create a fat32 partition.. tho u need to do this with the help of a boot disk...

Senior since the 3 dot era
    s0n1c the purpose is: keeping the data, therefor replace is not the easiest way.

I would suggest the way SirDice mentioned:
    use this tool to access your NTFS partitions from Win98.
    Never convert your first Win98 partition, cause Win98 cannot boot from non-fat partitions, it has no standard support to boot from ntfs.
    Anyway, if you are going to 'play' with your partitions, I recommend to backup all your data.

Windows conversion is one way, FAT to NTFS, however partition magic will allow you to go back.

NTFS, by the way, is so helpful for a windows admin I can't even imagine what I would do without it.
    -Shkuey
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Yep shkuey,
    for instance: you can store more on an ntfs formatted disk then on a FAT format disk. Depending on the size of your files, you probably win about 20% diskspace.

Just insert the Win98 Boot up disk and tipe Fdisk an then delete non-dos partition and after that you can create a FAT32 partition

NTFS is just plain better than FAT: Faster, safer, better cluster sizing...

I don't see how anyone can not like NTFS...

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss