Thread: Linux Distributions

Linux Distributions

Pretty soon my dad's going to get a new computer and I'm going to get our old one. And I'm going to install Linux on it. So my question is: which distribution should I get? I'm looking for something that would be pretty easy to install and set up because I'm not very experienced in Linux. Any feedback is appreciated.
    ~TOXIC-RAM

I guess you are a n00b to linux, so i would suggest getting Red Hat Linux, it's very easy to install and is great for beginners. here is the link www.redhat.com i hope you have broadband because if not, downloading will be a pain in the ass. 3 x 637MB ISO files...after you download them, search AO for the tutorials on getting ready for linux and installing linux.
    Good Luck and have fun with linux.

If you really look at it, any linux distro will be a pain in the butt to DL if you don't have broadband. I hated DLing any file larger than mybe 5 MB when I had 56K. It still took me about 6 hours to DL all the RH 7.3 CDs with aDSL, so if you don't want to spend the time DLing, you can pay for the CDs, or have a friend with broadband DL them for you... Or have a nice AO member mail the CDs to you...

I would also recommending, because it sounds like your new to Linux to reading up on some stuff.
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/linux/
    http://www.linuxdocs.org <-- good howto's / tutorials
    www.linuxnewbie.org <-- good forum strictly linux if nobody here @ AO can't figure out an answer to your question. LN (LinuxNewbie) also has good Newbized Help Files (NHF's)

Read on a couple articles for 15min just to get you going.
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

Unfortunately, I don't have a broadband connection... I have a 56k modem. But my friend bought the Mandrake Linux CDs so maybe I can ask him to burn them for me. Thanks for the info everyone.
    ~TOXIC-RAM