Animal Awareness
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Animal Awareness

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man

Question Animal Awareness

Have you ever thought about how we look at animals? Have you ever thought they are smarter than we think? Do you ever get that look from one of your pets that hints to their conciousness, and awareness?

Take this, for example. The Parrot. The Parrot is the only animal that has a tounge and vocal cords capable of imitating the noises we make. These noises that we make have evolved over thousands of years to create LANGUAGE. Well the Parrot, immitates these noises...oblivious to what he is saying...or is he? If Polly says "Polly want a cracker." His owner gives him a cracker. Well after 20 years or so, of getting a cracker every time he makes this immitation, he figures out that "polly want a cracker" means Food. So at this point, Polly is fully aware of what he is saying. He knows that when he says that, he will get food. Strange...

Another thing that gets me is the fact that when people are acting out of order or just plain rude, they call them an "animal". To me, being called an animal is better than being called a man. I mean, which animal has wars? Most mammals adapt to their environment, and are a symbiotic part of their habitat. Man differs by being greedy, and lying and hating.
    We will be the end of our own race. We strive for destruction and live vial secret lives that we think no-one knows about. But the animals know. LOL :-X

-another anti human rant
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Actually there are several species that have fights that could be considered wars because they are trying to defend or take land from another animal. Male deer are a good example when it comes to the herd. One will come and try to conquer or will conquer. Many predatory animals do the same thing. Some animals attack the young of more dominant species just to keep them from growing older, sometimes they eat them and other times they just kill them. Cats are a great example of territorial animals, they either live in peace with those around them, or they constantly fight them.

I do agree than animals are keenly aware of what goes on around them. My dog is extreamly intelligent and has a great personality, he amazes me sometimes. Likewise my cat is no fool, she has the dog believing she can take him. Poor dog, he always being terrorised by my cat, but little does he know that one bite and the cat is no more.

And yes we will be the end of our species, and likely much of the rest of the planet at the same time.
    The more I deal with people, the more I LOVE my computer.

HMMM.
    My cats were playing with each other the other day. They were climbing on boxes, and jumping off, then climbing higher, and jumping off, and so on, until they had jumped from the highest column of boxes. They seemed like they were daring each other. They know that when they are out of food and water, that if they come and sit next to me, get in my face, climb on me, get my attention, I will get the point that they will need something. Even at 3 AM. Our domesticated pets are trainable, and most listen better than our children. A well trained dog will "sit" and "stay" better than a child will. I know a dog that will not eat if the owner says not to if offered a treat. In some respects, animals are smarter than people. They (usually) only kill to eat, feed their young, or protect their young or territory. Only the crazy ones kill for other reasons. If we applied the same logic to humans, we are either secretly a society of repressed cannibals, or all those who kill for reasons other than those listed above are crazy.
    Wait... Don't we say that about people who go around killing just for kicks and giggles?
    And yet, we do nothing about those people, except lock them up somewhere for a little while, and let them out when we think they have been rehabilitated, or, in the extreme cases, we wait until they've written a few books, found God, spoken with Phil, Larry, Oprah, and Geraldo, and then we give them night-night juice, and they go to sleep. In the animal kingdom, a wild rabid animal is taken care of, immediately, for the protection of the rest of the herd/family.
    Who is more civilized? Who is more in control of their world?

As for intelligent mammals/animals...
    The parrot isn't the only animal that is capable of mimicking human speech and learning by its' usage.
    The Mynah bird does the same thing, as well as cockatiels, and a few others.

But who says that vocalizing is the ultimate arbiter of intelligence? For years, primates (primarily chimpazees,
    but big apes as well) have been trained in the use of sign language, and more recently in the use of symbols
    in communications with humans. The studies have found that they are capable not only of communicating
    by the base use of these methods, in addtion they can communicate abstract ideas! This was
    seemingly a natural progression for the scientists directly involved with the study. But for behavioural
    scientists, child psychologists and the like, the findings were troubling: up until now, it was assumed that
    humans, as a species, are the only beings on this rock who are truly sentient. Hmmm... by what criteria?

As advanced as our species is, and as objective as science can be, there remains a slight problem-
    we still tend to be conceited to the point that sentience requires a "soul", walking upright, self-awareness,
    and so on. It's the same neighbourhood of the judeo/christian belief that not only are we at the center of
    the universe, we're the only ones in it.

Awfully arrogant of us, don't you think?
    good post BTW, general philosophical questions are vastly entertaining, Thanks!

Zaddikim
    You can lead a yak to water, but you can\'t teach an old dog
    to make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke
    -Berke Breathed/ Opus The Penguin

in the bible it says we were thrown out paradise for eating from the tree of knowledge.

The animals that have lived with me have all been puzzled by my doing things with cars and computers and the like. The seem to say, "why don't you want to run and play".

sometimes i think their right.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I was mearly using the parrot as an example.... and that bird vocalizing mearly a slap in the face of with the reality of how truly arrogant we are.

Originally posted here by zaddikim
    As advanced as our species is, and as objective as science can be, there remains a slight problem-
    we still tend to be conceited to the point that sentience requires a "soul", walking upright, self-awareness,
    and so on. It's the same neighbourhood of the judeo/christian belief that not only are we at the center of
    the universe, we're the only ones in it.
    I think animals very well may have a soul, only it differs. Their soul never fell from grace. They never rebeled against their creator. God said when we fell from grace, Man will have to toil the ground, and work. Maybe thats why our dogs lie around and lick thier ....... and we work all the damn time.

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    in the bible it says we were thrown out paradise for eating from the tree of knowledge.
    This supports my theory. when we ate, we GAINED a knowledge that animals did not. The knowledge of Good and Evil. As much as I think my cat is EVIL, hes not. Everything is very simple for them because they don't know the darkness that we know. They arent faced with greed, lust, and hatred. All they have to worry about is that damn food chain.

THC/IP Version 4.2

No offense meant, Dr Toker, I just go off on a tangent sometimes...lol, family and friends usually shut me down
    before I really get going...heh

One other point to consider, although it kind of goes off in a slightly different direction than intended...
    <here he goes again/>
    Western society (Indo-European/Judeo-Christian at any rate) seems to operate on the belief that it is up to
    "us Humans" to hold dominion over the Natural world. During the colonization of different lands over the centuries
    by "The West"(tm), indigenous peoples, who for millenia have venerated Earth Mother and Her Children, were
    repressed in various ways (which is another topic altogether...sorry) for their beliefs. For the time that they
    occupied the land (best term I could think of to describe it), they treated it with respect, saw God/ess in every aspect
    of the world they inhabited. They didn't "own" any part of it. I don't have the speech on me, but to paraphrase
    Chief Sealth(sic), "We are the land, and the Land is us" ( or something to that effect, anyhoo). They saw
    the Spirit in all that they saw, including animals, and lived in Harmony and Balance with the land.

And we're the civilized ones?
    <phew, about bloody time/>

And now, back to our regularly scheduled programming...

Zaddikim
    You can lead a yak to water, but you can\'t teach an old dog
    to make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke
    -Berke Breathed/ Opus The Penguin

There’s never been a doubt in my mind. Animals are extremely intelligent. Its because they don’t react in ways most humans can understand that they are considered stupid. Because cows don’t scream help me, help me, its said they aren’t aware of what’s about to happen to them in the slaughter house, but yet the fact that they **** themselves is overlooked.

Dogs snap their jaws shut when they want something. Not necessarily food either. My dog goes by the door, looks at me and snaps his jaws shut a couple of times, real quick. He wants to go out. I didn’t teach it to him. All the dogs that have been with me did that. Is this not communication?

The chuch says animals have no soul, but up until 200 years ago they also said woman had no soul. I’ll believe what I know in my heart to be true and churchs can keep their dogma, out of the way of my karma.

Hey Tolker, i know this is off topic, a bit, but as long as were speaking of paradise, heres something for you to ponder.

Did you ever wonder what life on earth would be like if the earths axis were in line with that of the sun. There would be no summer or winter, no growing season. plants would just fruit as they came into maturity. Their would always be plenty. And with out the seasons, which take their toll on organisms, we would live allot longer. Their would be no hurricanes or severe storms, jet streams would not vary. a regular paradise.

So god sent the angel with the flaming sword to drive us out of the garden. Could that be a comet hitting the earth, knocking it off axis? Im not saying that god did not do this, but everything mystical seems to have its physical counterpart.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

And thats all I'm sayin man...there are so many connections to the physical world around us.
    I just cant deny the exsistence... As much as I tried, all I see is the evendence of a Creator.
    Your right, this is off topic.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Ok, back on topic... meet psychopuppy...my avatar....she is 2.5 lbs of Pomerainian, and 2.5 tons of attitude. She will protect me with her life, even against the largest of foes. She always knows I am on my way home 10 minutes before I get home, and I never arrive home at the same time. When I am happy she is happy, if I am mad she is mad ( at everyone ). She sleeps on my pillow at night until I come home. She is not a stupid animal, she is an intelligent, sentient being, she is my companion, devoted to me unconditionally.....

Just thought I would add this, in case you wondered.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?