Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Animal Awareness

i dont' know whether to laugh or cry, people sit here and talk about how THEIR(note the possessive pronoun) pets are so intelligent. my goodness people what gives you the right to own a creature let alone an intelligent one? i have heard excuses "well i am smarter than they are", well i am smarter than developmentally disabled people and most of my classmates that doesnt' mean i can own them. "well they are a lower species" lower? how do they get classified as lower? "god said we have dominion over nature..." boolshit that kind of rhetoric was used to justify slavery for 400 years. you are the new world slave owners wake up and smell the oppression.
    \'Thought is not what inhabits a certain conduct and gives it meaning; rather, it is what allows one to step back from this way of acting or reacting, to present it to oneself as an object of thought and question it as to its meaning, its conditions, and its goals. Thought is freedom in relation to what one does, the motion by which one detaches oneself from it, establishes it as an object, and reflects on it as a problem.\'

Smile

On the contrary blackfist, My pets, or as my friends who interact with my"four-legged children" as they are more commonly known, are not slaves in any sense. They are cared for and loved like one of my own children. I feed them from my own plate at times for a treat, just as I would my children. My wife and I even celebrate their birthdays and holidays. Come and spend a couple of days with us and you will understand what a lot of us ( the human race ) never will. These "children" of mine ( and I do not use the term mine as a possesive ) can communicate with us and we fully understand them as much as they do us. I have an old ( 15years ) mixed breed that will tell you how to make her a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, right down to leading you to all the ingrediants, ind the silverware drawer for the knife. No s**t!! And we never did anything to train her other than ask her what she wanted...Sorry guys/gals if I sound like a loony tune to you, but anyone who truly loves their pets like we (my wife and I ) do will agree with me on this.

aea
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Old Fart
    With the possible exception of animals associated with law enforcement/search and rescue, I have yet to witness an animal (dog, cat, canary etc.) punching a time clock, worried over the mortgage, or fretting over insurance premiums. Kinda makes me wonder what species is REALLY the most intelligent.

And yeah, Tedob and Dr. Toker....I see the Creator all around me too....and I hope I never lose the sense of wonder it gives me!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I like this thread, lots of good ideas. when my girls were small (two and three) they'd go traipsing off up the mountainside with Dan and Ann (black labs) running circles around them, changing directions wherever the girls wanted to go. I'd be watching these treks, and without fail one of the labs would start prancing straight up and down in the same place, going two or three feet in the air before coming down straight-legged then back up like a steel spring. This would go on for a minute or so while the other lab circled up the girls and stood over them watching, girls bitching like crazy but couldn't get away or move from their keeper. Eventually the jumping would stop, and the dog would reach down and grab what was left of the snake and shake the h3II out of it until it came apart in pieces, then the trek would continue. Sometimes a chopper would come up from across the mountain, and the dogs would knock down the girls, stand over them, and growl vicious warnings at the plane, then let the girls back up, licked the dirt off them and took off again on their trek after the invader had been scared away. Now, i don't know exactly what these dogs were thinking, although I got my own ideas... But they were darn good partners for a mountain trek with the kids. But that's enough of that. Here's one from my email today: A guy goes into the bar with his dog, and asks the bartender if it'd be worth a drink if his dog could answer a question. Bartender says sure. Guy asks dog; "where is the chimney on a house?" Dog says "ROOF". Bartender isn't impressed. Guy asks dog; "Who is one of the most famous baseball players in American history?" Dog says "RUUF". Bartender throws them both out. After they stop rolling down the sidewalk, the dog looks at the guy confused like and asks; "DiMaggio??".

But then, on a more thoughtful note...
    of the throne, and round about the throne, were four cbeasts full of eyes before and behind.
    7 And the first beast

(New Testament | Revelation 4:6)

----------------
    about the throne, and about the elders and the four abeasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped

(New Testament | Revelation 7:11)

----------------
    a new asong before the throne, and before the four beasts, and the elders: and no man could learn that song

(New Testament | Revelation 14:3)
    Hmmm, now, i wonder what he meant by "beasts"?

During a review of the hospital facilities, the Director and Doctor walking down the ward notice a man jerking off. The Director asks the Doctor, you wanna explain that.... The Doctor then explains that the patient has a rare disease where sperm fills in his testicals and that he needs to ejaculate once an hour to releave the pressure or he can die. Well, the Director says, that sounds logical. As the Director and Doctor continue down the ward, they happen by a nurse giving a patient head.... The Director turns to the Doctor, "How you gonna explain that", the Doctor calmly turns to the Director and says."Same disease, better health care plan".

Just Some Humor For Your Day. Smile =)~

I totally agree with Dr Toker. Man depends upon all animate and non animate, life and 'non life' forms for his existence. To treat all of these things as there to serve us is utterly unjustifiable, wasteful and disrespectful. Who says we are the planets superior beings? Why we do! Without what the planet provides for us, we would be dust. We take what we want rather than what we need, I don't believe we should have survived this long!

Blah blah rant rant..........
    Flod!

Banned
    Allenb1963 said this

With the possible exception of animals associated with law enforcement/search and rescue, I have yet to witness an animal (dog, cat, canary etc.) punching a time clock, worried over the mortgage, or fretting over insurance premiums. Kinda makes me wonder what species is REALLY the most intelligent.
    Well I think we must all realize animals are extremly intellegent, but they also have phyiscal limitations that impare them from reaching their full capabalities. One reason Humans are able to be superior over them is because of the way we can communicate and the way we can use our bodies to achieve a wide range fo activites. But the fact is animals live in a limited world because of there phyiscal limitation and the only thing these animals truely have to worry about is finding food for the day. However for most Humans food is provided as long as we complete our daily tasks and live by the rules that the human society has created for itself, and we have done this trying to set ourselves apart from these other species because we have chosen to see their life styles as detasteable.

This is because we ate of those fruits Dr Toker was talking about. IT all makes sense to me.

I have been reading from a really (to me) cool author, David Eddings. In it, his characters say
    something like, Man thinks he rules the world, but there are a lot of creatures in this world, and those creatures generally ignore man unless we become intrusive or inconvenient. It is a blow to our egos, surely, that these animals ignore us like that.
    Also, I have noticed, we are the only creatures who have doctors, someone to aid in the removal of illness and injury, not only for ourselves, but for that animal kingdom, as well. In the animal kingdom, if one is ill or injured, one either recovers or dies off, either naturally, or by having fallen prey to an enemy.

I agree with Dr Toker to a certain extent, animal are lot more intelligent then we give credit.

Animals according to some sciences are basically dumb :- purely acting on instinct, unaware of death etc. I say bullshit

I believe some Animal are very intelligent aware of they surrounding and there existence.

Example – Zebra’s I have seen one (On TV) cry when it fowl died, I don’t thing it had dust in its eyes.

Male Lions and primates will actual kill there young if they expect they are not of there bloodline. When taking over a bride or tribe. Humans however will raise the young of others as they own.

I would say sometimes humans are far superior sometimes, he/she will sacrifice oneself for the good of the family or the country (Even a complete stranger, yes true but rare i.e. a kid drowning someone would jump in to save it). Humans will also help the ill and the old. Unfortunately Man will probably wipe himself out due to arseholes like Bin Lid and Sudan insane.

Animals on the other hand – will not sacrifice themselves unless attacking in a pack which in my eyes is the animal preserving it life, also wild animal kill the weak in the pack be it a genetic flaw, sickness or even at old age. No Animal on Earth would sacrifice itself for a stranger.

The only time a Animal will sacrifice itself is when it Alpha Male or Human owner is under attack, which once again is the animal preserving it arse – hence Master dies No food for Animal – result Animal dies.

Is it true if you have a animal for a while you start looking like it?