faulty motherboard

Thread: faulty motherboard

faulty motherboard

I was wondering if somebody can help me.My friend has given me a motherboard that he does not use,but he doesn't know if it is still working.The motherboard is a ep58mvp3c.What i have tried so far just to see if it is still working is the following:fit p/supply-230watt,fit 4meg agp screencard,32meg sdram-100mhz,intel 200mmx processor plus h/disk 3,2gig,keyboard.powered everything up but to no avail.changed ram clock speeds,and checked cpu core voltage and clock multiplier etc!!.is there a very easy way to check that the board is still worth bothering around with.Is there some minimum requirements or not.

regards
    v/man.
    Practise what you preach.

The Iceman Cometh
    The first thing you should do is install the motherboard with the processor, video card and RAM inserted (have you checked to make sure that the motherboard supports 200 MHz MMX processors and/or 2X or 4X AGP cards? those may be a problem). Attach a keyboard and monitor and see if it boots up. If it does, check your BIOS settings to ensure that everything is right. If that's all working, start inserting hard disks and cards one by one to make sure that the computer keeps working after installing each.

AJ

lick it.

really, avdven hit it right on the head. the only addition i would make is go get a list of the beep codes. that may help you with troubleshooting the installation of your hardware.

here is somewhere you can start:
    http://www.pcguide.com/ts/x/sys/beep/
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

thanks aj and qwerty_smith,
    i checked and it does support processors up from p166-amdk6 500.i installed everything like you said but nothing is coming on,no beep codes nothing.the only thing i am not to sure about is if it does support 2x /4x agp cards.i also tried an pci card as well as an old 16 bit isa
    trident card.all these parts come from fully working computers.even that did not do a thing.
    i also tried another bios chip but still nothing.the board supports both atx and the older power supply connections.

p.s.These kind of problems is what makes the world of computers so interesting.

would this help you guys any further?
    regards
    v/man
    Practise what you preach.

The Iceman Cometh
    Does anything appear on the screen when you start it up? It may be that your video card is not inserted all the way. Also (I know this'll sound stupid, but I've seen it happen to computer techs... don't forget to make sure that the monitor is turned on...). When you start it up, do all of the fans start up properly? Also, do you hear the computer run a quick RAM check? It may be a power supply problem as well. Are you certain that the power supply, RAM and processor you are using all work? That's the problem with putting together you're own machine... you have to figure out what exactly is causing the probolem.

AJ