Thread: WebSite Status

WebSite Status

> > JP

I have been looking a little bit at some of the WebSite Status top 10's. I have heard about some abuse in the tutorials forum with bad tutorials, have only seen a few myself though. But anyway I just looked at 'FakeBoy' 's profile and seeing that his has been viewed 23,000 some odd times this is obvious abuse of holes and the such in the top 10's. I read the first thread that introduced the counter system into user's profiles, and it worked good at the time. But something must obviously be done to prevent abuse of the system. It is obvious that 23k of AO's members suddenly did not just decide to view 'FakeBoy' 's profile, and that he just suddenly started refreshing the page or just made a simple program that accessed just the counter of his profile multiple times.

Anyway, something must be done to stop the abuse of viewed profiles | the abuse of tutorials written. The rest have already been abused before, such as the AO points, and post #. We have seen this happen in the past and have done things to prevent it from continuing. And now we must do it again to these two new features.

As for what exactly to do, the tutorials forum could be monitored slightly more, and have any posts with bad, or small tutorials deleted, and also have member profiles only count the # of members that viewed it, instead of the # of times it has been viewed. If it was changed to the # of members that have viewed the profile, it would then prevent not only someone from upping there own viewed #, but also from creating a new account and then upping their viewed #.

That is all that I have to rant about, but I would like the site to be changed or updated the next chance you get please.

The Iceman Cometh
    You may also want to check out the following thread, where this was discussed in length, and someone actually decided to play a prank and start refreshing certain people's profiles to get them onto the Top 10.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=232674

AJ

Okay adven,
    I did search for related threads but I only looked for WebSite Status, I did not find that one, oops, but I see that nothing since then has changed, so something still must be done to fix it.

The Iceman Cometh
    I agree completely. I personally like sumdumguy's suggestion to just pull the Top-10 Most Viewed Profiles completely. It's not particularly relevant... it's more like a popularity contest than anything else.

As for the search, I can understand it completely... I've been having a lot of difficulties finding old threads the past few months, even though I am absolutely certain that they exist.

AJ

thanks for the mention AJ.. but I'm not sure that I was first to suggest pulling it off the front page..

and as for forum searches.. there was talk of that sometime back.. it seems that threads before April or so, aren't included in the results..

Again, somebody posted a link to a thread of mine. I'm touched. Well, about the top 10 profiles, well, problem was that when I started that thread up, somebody who probably hadn't known the system could be abused, abused it. He put up all kinds of wierd names on the top 10 most viewed list, that is how I ended up there. I think that the most viewed should either be taken off or set so that an IP can only view a profile a few times a day max, after all, php has that remote_addr variable, it wouldn't be that hard would it?