Linux Problem

Thread: Linux Problem

Linux Problem

Hi
    I have Red Hat Linux 7.1 installed on my system(with an intel 810 Motherboard and onboard graphics). my problem is that when i am working in linux, the screen suddenly goes blank for a couple of seconds even when the computer is not idle. someone told me that it was due to wrong refresh rates but i put in the correct horizontal & vertical rates(from my monitor's manual) in the Xconfigurator tool but still the problem persists. pls help me.

er0k
    maybe it could be your video card. have you tried searching around for updates and drivers ect??

it's funny you should bring this up b/c i'm having the exact problem install kde on my freebsd system. i get through the install but when it tries to start the server the screen goes black and i have to reboot. everyone i've asked says i have my refresh rates wrong but i'm getting the values right out of the monitors instruction book.

i have a newer onboard graphics card with the nforce chipset. if you figure anything out let me know
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one

Computer Forensics
    try xf86config.....................Xconfigurator doesn't always work correctly, set the rates manually, and select the right driver for your card etc...
    Antionline in a nutshell
    \"You\'re putting the fate of the world in the hands of a bunch of idiots I wouldn\'t trust with a potato gun\"

Trust your Technolust

Re: Linux Problem

Originally posted here by shantz
    Hi
    I have Red Hat Linux 7.1 installed on my system(with an intel 810 Motherboard and onboard graphics). my problem is that when i am working in linux, the screen suddenly goes blank for a couple of seconds even when the computer is not idle. someone told me that it was due to wrong refresh rates but i put in the correct horizontal & vertical rates(from my monitor's manual) in the Xconfigurator tool but still the problem persists. pls help me.

I had the same problem with 7.1. And yes, I did finally got it to work by tinkering with the refresh rates.

However, when 7.3 came out I decided to wipe the system and install 7.3 fresh. Both the card and the monitor were auto detected and I didn't have the problem any longer. Just to be sure (and because I had a lot of time on my hands), I wiped the systems again and re-installed 7.1. Same problem all over again. Wiped and re-installed 7.3 - no problem.

So you may just want to consider going to 7.3.
    SFNative
    ~ Nothing exceeds like excess ~

hogfly, but i don't know my card make. all iknow is that it is onboard my motherboard which is an intel 810. and i have used xf86.. too and i filled in the correct rates from the manual but still prob persists