Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Princeton hacks Yale

Joey_Batch_File, What I want to know is that if he only gained access to there networks, how could that of cost them over 6000$ to fix?
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

I had a debate w/ jcdux.... I'm on your side here.....

Originally posted here by Joey_Batch_File
    Yes, that is scary. However, we do not have the full facts on what process he used to prove his point. How do we know he didn't change a database to draw attention to this discovery, and don't you think he would first off say "Hey, I have a feeling this LAN is insecure, do you think we should check it out". He couldn't get into trouble if he had permission to test for insecurities. I just have this feeling that he was caught by setting someting up to prove the point. just my .02
    jcdux's Response:

Originally posted here by jcdux
    Or maybe..

if you keep your heads down and ignore the problem, the government will introduce shitty laws that protect the clueless and prosecute the security conscious folk.

It’s not that far fetched to assume that one day in the not so distant future, you could be labelled a cracker or cyber-terrorist just for owning (not even using) tools or programs that could be used for cracking etc.

Hell, it goes further than that.. if the US government / congress ($ Hollywood $)
    introduce their proposal that allows for “technological self-help measures”
    (ie: I think that by some very remote chance that you may have hax0red me and stolen my credit card details electronically from my pc, I can hack your ass with impunity) (see http://theregister.co.uk/content/6/26357.html for a register type biased background)

Come to think of it.. the government has amassed *ahem* stolen lots of info about me and I want it back.. time to legitimately target those ‘secret’ servers to discourage big brother once and for all....

er0k
    Originally posted here by hogfly
    My opinion about the whole thing ? Who really cares about a couple of rich colleges vying over admissions ? does it really need to be such big news that it deserves the front page on a paper ? **** no. I could think of uhm perhaps 40 other things happening around the world that deserve more attention than that ****. The media is a pathetic entity.
    True, but the media is always going to find something that will get the readers attention, as we have seen in this thread, that it is indeed an attention getter. And the people that care about the admissions are students picking schools to go to. Its just a publicity stunt, im sure princeton is lacking funds or something from the other ivy league schools and wants to be bigger and better than they already are. By showing publicly that they hacked yale,. it automatically gives a false sense of power to the reader. they would normally think, hey princetons experts are smarter than yales yada yada i guess ill give my money to princeton.

Originally posted here by Joey_Batch_File

It didn't work for the guy in jcdux's thread:

This guy is in DEEP TROUBLE. He thinks that LAME excuse is going to get him out of the hot seat??? THINK AGAIN.

Old Fart
    Hmmmmm....wonder if I should go test the security of the vault at my bank? LOL
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

and to think yale has a large building dedicated to the it department... what where they doing eating donuts... I'm surprised princeton didn't war drive around campus...
    wouldn't it be funny to see two ivy league schools rooting each others box (sort of like Michigan State and U of M are rivals in sports and everything else)...

probobly someone sneaked into a admin computer and hacked yale or yale is doing this for attention
    Join the White Hat universe!

Old Fart
    "Suki" did it...she was tired of hacking auto factories!!!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

er0k
    im still convinced that its a publicity stunt..

Banned
    well with the whole SSN/B-Day thing..... thats how it is in EVERY university and college i know... when you are a new student your username is your SSN and your password is your month and year of your b-day..... but you do have the option to change this(although most dont).

Now the question of if their usernames/passwords are secure or sent over the web in plaintext, i have no idea... but i know that the college i go to sends them encrypted.