Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WinXP install

Developer Extraordinar

WinXP install

Hey, I just ordered and recived a new AMD Duron 1.1 GHz computer, and I am having quite abit of trouble installing Windows XP on it.I have created a Windows XP boot CD, using Easy CD Creator and the .iso of my original CD, then I load it up, and it loads setup and gets to the point where it say Press Enter to install, R to run Recovery, F3 to Exit, etc. and I press enter and it hangs at please wait..., do you have any ideas? Should I install 98 first, then try to install from inside windows? Or what?

Please help...

Loading Windows 98 first would just allow an upgrade, and you would run into the same error. Now, Windows XP CD's bootable. Have you tried to boot directly from the cd? Last, but not least. There may be an error on your .iso, I have seen CD's hang due to errors in the .iso......

Developer Extraordinar
    I have booted directly from the CD, and I do not belive there to be a problem with myu .iso, but just incase how do I check?

Also It is booting up into the MS-DOS set up of Windos XP.

Old Fart
    Actually, you can do a clean install of XP from Win98. You must have 2 partitions on your HD ( C: and D: ), with Win 98 installed on the d: partition. After booting into Win 98, insert the XP disk into the CD drive and choose a complete installation on the C: drive and away you go. After a successful install of XP, boot into DOS and format the D: partition and you're set.

But as Joey said, check the validity of your .iso image...that may well be your trouble. As for checking the .iso image, the only way I can think of to do that would be to look for other copies of the .iso on the net and do a size comparison. If your version comes up short, even by a few bytes, therein would lie the problem. Good Luck!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Actually you wouldn't even need two partitions to do a clean install it gives you an option for a clean install when you select upgrade. Personally I have a feeling it is the .iso, thats where I stand at.

The Iceman Cometh
    I woudl recommend to try installing it without booting off the CD. Start by booting into MS-DOS mode via either a 98 boot disk or a Windows 98 or ME CD. Once there, go to the i386 directory on the Windows XP CD. Then type "winnt" (without quotes) and you'll be on your way. It'll copy the installation files to the hard drive (so make sure that the hard drive is formatted and has enough space on it) and run the installation from there rather than the Windows XP CD. It's possible it's having problems reading a file on the CD.

AJ

Best bet is to Fdisk your C drive,

delete all your DOS partitions then create a new one

Change the boot sequence to CDROM in your BIOS then restart the machine.

Format using NTFS for the least errors.

We had a similar sort of problem at work.

let us know if that sorts the problem
    The Worst Foe Lies Within The Self

If you use the DOS-based install as avdven suggests, be sure to load smartdrv.exe before beginning. If you don't, uncached file copying in DOS will take a few hours of your life away. Smartdrv.exe will cut it down to 10 minutes or so.

If the ISO image checks out OK, try disabling APCI in the BIOS. XP has had issues with it on my Athlon motherboards. After that, I would say the most likely culprit is RAM - either bad or misconfigured in the BIOS. Since it's a new computer you might want to check the memory timings in the BIOS. If it's set at CAS 2, try turning it down to CAS 3 if your motherboard allows that.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Developer Extraordinar
    Tried everything, still not working. And I can't install Linux, because my modem is a "WinModem" please help!

Your first problem..

Your first big big problem and maybe your only problem is your using Easy CD creator, erase that thing immidately and get nero. If you cannot afford nero download the free trial and then burn your boot disk. Never use easy CD creator, even when you uninstall it, it takes some of your system files with it, nasty little thing.