Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a suggestion for new members...

a suggestion for new members...

I've been sitting around reading posts, and one of the things I keep seeing is where someone new either posts one of the traditional "how do I hack this" posts, or something simple that they could have found the answer to if they had used the search first. Why not make it so that on signup you *have* to read a newbie faq, since I think a lot of new members skip straight to posting without reading any of them.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

thats actually not a bad idea. i have seen that a lot lately too. and it is almost silly the amount of "hack this" posts that you this site gets! if they all were forced to read the posts before signing up then they have no reason to plead ignorance to the rules.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

The Iceman Cometh
    Um.... hate to break this to ya... but this has already been made (at least) twice...

I found the one I made originally (http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=230662)

I remember someone else making the same suggestion a few weeks ago, but I don't remember what his subject line was, so I can't find it in the site suggestions...

JP did the best he could next to having it pop up on their screen... but it requires the newbie to take the effort to read the welcome e-mail, something they never seem to do because they're too lazy (which is generally why they ask such ridiculous questions without doing research in the first place)

AJ

Old Fart
    LOL...wonder if a FAQ quiz that you have to pass can be made part of the signup process?
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

A FAQ quiz.....now that's a good idea.

T3h Ch3F
    I agree to an extent. I also feel that "new" members should read the Noob Faq. before venturing forth on a path of self destruction. I think a lot of the Banned people are Griefers, with new accounts. I have noticed several different Banned names, with identical writing styles. I have posted with a few questions which were relevant to me, and I received a few answers, three of them included www.google.com this was not offensive to me. I think we are all noobs! Untill I know the secrets of the Universe I will always be a noob.

My point being...............When you agree to membership in AO. You have at least a minimal duty to read the rules. If you can not agree to them, then waste your time creating various psudonyms, your words will always be your undoing.

P:

Banned
    i dont know..... no matter what you do there will always be lamers that want to hack hotmail, yahoo, and AOL..... I mean come on, if thats what they want to do a FAQ isnt going to change their mind.

But as far as searching before posting, it might help with that alittle bit. But also i think instead of yelling at them and flaming them, why not just put a simple link to the other post and be nice about it. And if that takes too much time off your hands then dont reply at all. Everyone has made a mistake of posting something that has already been posted before, i know i have(even with searching).

It's a great idea to have a compulsory FAQ, but there's no way to force people to read it. Having a test might sound good at first, but I think it'll put too many people off (newbies or not) - I know that I wouldn't sign up for a lot of sites/forums if I had to pass some induction test before being allowed to post.

We have to cut newbies some slack, after all they are new to AntiOnline, maybe leave off a bit if they ask what we might consider to be an off-topic or stupid question. However, anyone who asks something along the lines of "how do I hack hotmail/yahoo/AOL" etc. deserves all the flames they get.

Like I said, nice idea, but I don't really think it's feasible - the ones who ask stupid questions are the ones who don't read the FAQ anyway, or don't understand it, otherwise they'd know not to ask such questions.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

yeah... it would be nice to have people read the faq and maybe weed out a few lamers, but i don't think it will stop the real lamers from posting their how to hack threads... as for searching before posting... it's a great idea, could have been used for this thread as well hehe just messing
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

maybe you should get your head out of your ass