Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Elders/Mentors Thread

Elders/Mentors Thread

I simply want to suggest that there be an Elder/Mentor thread here. Would not want it to be baised upon points but upon life span. Any that is Elder or Mentor that has age upon life could spot anyone younger cause it is based upon life span not ability to post a popular thread. The purpose of the thread is to give those members 40 and above a chance to pass what they may know of things out here, to talk of morals, standards and ethics before about 1997, 98 or so. It would be about how the computer is a tool not a male statement or power over another but how to take what you know and aply it top the real world you live in All should be able to see the threads but not give points. Elders and Mentors speak to the time you live in and thay have lived through.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

What sort of policy would be set in place to counter abuse of this thread? As we know we have been getting spammed and rants posts more and more as the community grows. I really like the idea, and was just curious of the steps that would or should be taken to counter abuse? I guess the moderator taking frequent peaks at the post would be sufficient.

perhaps an actual forum, much like AO addicts or (one I frequently read) Negatives own Cosmos....

Honestly simply by reading threads it is rather easy to figure out who qualifies and who does not as a "mentor". Posters with good knowledge to share, and those who tend to use facts and good experience in their posts typically stand out. A simple way would be to assign a board of moderators and let them control who would and who wouldnt be able to post.

A moderator revue of each thread when it is created before posting would hopefully weed out the beginnings of poor threads. The only downside to such a moderated forum as this would be the possibility of the moderators using personal opinions in the decisions over who could and could not post, or what threads make it (simply avoided by the idea of a moderator board, something like 3 moderators) and of course the overhead in moderating such a forum.

Personally, I think its a great idea, and many who have been here either reading, or reading and posting for a while would most likely apreciate a "no bull" forum with a strong center on expanding security knowledge.

just my $1.50..... and yeah, I'd be honored, and more than willing to help moderate such a forum, so long as there were other moderators (as much as I hate to say it... I'm just as much of a hypocrite as the next guy)

personally I think members such as Terr, Negative, and even our Evil Enchilada (who has posted once?? gah ee...) would be fine suited as they have a good ability to think with a "no bull" mindset when needed.
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

Personally, I can't follow what's being said in the thread-starting post. Someone please clarify for me. Thanks.

EDIT: How many times am I gonna say this? Ehh, as many times as I want to, ****. F'ing anonymous panzy.

Jehnx, thank you for hiding that post.... at the risk of sounding hypocritical (hey I told you I was just as much of a hypocrite as the next guy) I think this is a prime example of why an actively moderated forum may allow for more productive discussions.... granted the language in palemoons post was slightly hard to understand..... in such an actively moderated forum a moderator would simply send a message to the poster requesting a more clear "rewrite" or rewrite the post himself before allowing it to become viewable in the forum.

In such a case as the post from Jehnx which may or may not have been appropriate (my guess is you have been getting blasted with neg AP's...) the post would have been denied altogether and Jehnx would receive a reason, allowing him to submit a rewrite himself, or move on with life.... but then again, if the original post in this thread had been rewritten for clarity, Jehnx surely would have not posted requesting clarification.

even now this post I am writing is redundant and in reality pointless as any intelligent reader would have blown the post by Jehnx off in the beginning (or thought better of him now for hiding it) and either took the thread at face value or ignored the thread altogether if they could not understand the topic from the first post (which I feel was more than clarified in the following posts).

well... I'm up to $3.00 now....
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

basically jehnx what what i understand ppl will look at your posts before it can be submitted but who has all the time to do that ? there are so many posts made everyday how r u gunna control all that? maybe i understood wrong

-Janet

Old Fart
    If I am reading the original thread correctly, and I think I am, then I must voice my agreement on this matter. I think that what Palemoon is speaking of is a forum where the younger generation(s) can benefit from the experiences that we 'old fogies' have had. We grew up in a world that was very different from yours, a world without computers and video game consoles (with the exeption of the original Atari, in my case). When most of you were being born or entering grade school, we were entering the world of adulthood, beginning to build up a knowledge of life and its intricacies, starting to raise a family. We come from a time when a single parent home was the exception, not the norm. Some of my generation saw the coming of the Beatles, the assasination of JFK. Others, like myself, came along a bit later and saw the end of the Beatles, watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon, saw Nixon resign in disgrace. I can actually remember when this country was safe for all, when you could go to bed and leave your doors unlocked and your windows open. I would never be fool enough to say that I am smarter than those younger than I, for you possess a technical prowess that I find astounding, and it by far outstrips my own. I will, however, say that in most cases we do possess a wisdom that comes only with age and experience. We know how to handle the curve balls that life can throw, because we have already had them thrown at us. Some of us, like Palemoon and myself, would love to share that experience with the younger members of the community, to enable them to face the challenges life invariably has to offer head on, armed with the knowledge and experience of those who walked the path before them.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

alright then. maybe its the scotch, but i'm pretty sure i'm completely ocnfused by now.
    i thik the elDer thing is a really good idea. there are a few "elders" that i have looked to as solid advice, (x, pale, acid, gg, even jenx (you bad ass*heh) ) that i have noted as those to respect and listen to. mind you i'm not a total "newbie" to the whole biz, (as i've started with the bbs's with me C-64 and what baud was that? what was i saying?

i suppose all i can say is. thank you, all of AO. it is a learning experience i shall never regret. and i should go to sleep.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Well I just want to say that Allenb1963 pretty much hit the head on what my concept is. Keep in mind sometimes concepts are to ponder over not to be read and in an instant understood. Since I have no Scotch Elders have been in this business since it was about I even worked for Atari myself still have a 2600 in the attic. We don't point and click change 10 things and think it my work we tend to change one setting then take hours to pour over logs to understand if that one change made a differece to correct a problem rather then guess out 10 changes should work. So much youth out here and so smart, creative etc. You hold much knowledge it is the wisdom of how you use what you know that counts. Know your OS your craft what do you do in a job interview, sell your service etc? I'll just pass to this thread what my own father who passed away sent me via email. Was hard for him but this is the message he sent me

"I want to remind you that success in life is based on hard slogging. There will be periods when discouragement is great and upsetting, and the antidote for this is calmness and fortitude and a modest yet firm belief in your competence. Be sure that your priorities are in order so that you can proceed in a logical manner, and be ever mindful that nothing will take the place of persistence.
    - Publisher and philanthropist Walter Annenberg in a letter to his son.

So if your father was never around in your life there are mentors that can give such things not because the want to but because they can. Why because they care and for elders it is not a question of strutting our stuff but how to use knowledge to make not only your life better but those of others in any community you may be in.

Peace
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Old Fart
    Well said Palemoon, well said. Sounds to me like your father was definitely on top of his game when he passed that quote on. My father is also gone, and I share your sense of loss. I was fortunate enough to get to ask my dad a question about a month before he passed (it was sudden) that has had a profound affect on my outlook on life. It was just after his 70th birthday, and I asked him what, after 70 years of living, was important. The man never missed a beat when he looked at me and said, "To make a difference. To know that you leave this world having made a contribution that benefits others." And thats what I want to do. Everyday that I live, I want to make someones life better...and I've found it's not all that hard to do if you just try.

Thanks Dad!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...