Thread: Alternative OS?

Alternative OS?

Alright, Let's start from the top:
    I was thinking yesterday that maby I should try this thing called Linux, see what it's made of, and right then and there, I saw a magasine called Linux....so....I bought it to see if I could look in to this.....I soon found my self with a list of different OS's available...and so I ask you....Ladies and Gentelmen...
    Which OS is best... (wait, ther's more.)

I'm soon gona get an old ragedy heap, which I though would be good for testing and stuff like that.
    It's a PII 266MHz, 32Mb SD-RAM, and well, it's a heap...

What I'm looking for is an OS that is Secure (Hopefully), powerfull and overall good-looking, Be able to play games (Hopefully) and to be generaly smooth running.

So.....the question at hand, Which one fit's best....Which OS is Not to difficult to set up, and posseses most of the trait's above?

I hope I'v included enough Info here.....
    As for reply's, Don't exspect me to, I'm leaving to day....so this is going to be a bit of a Summer endevour

Tanx alot ppl
    (Review's would be nice)

- Noia
    PS: Have a good Summer
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Mandrake, RedHat & SuSE are good for starters.
    It's worth trying a few distro's, you'll learn lots and you can figure out which will suit you best.
    If you want solid security then also look at BSD / FreeBSD.
    The more you install *nix, the more you will learn, it takes a lot of learning and in most cases quite a few installs to get it just right.

Good luck 'n' have a good summer

J.
    [glowpurple]manually editing your config files can break them. If this happens, you get to keep both pieces. [/glowpurple]

Banned
    Ok in my opinion(as a linux user myself) Linux is not really a gaming system.... so dont go into it looking for cool games and cool features like there are in windows.... Linux is a very powerfull operating system for servers and workstations. To tell you the truth im soon going to buy a new computer and put windows on it because surfing the net in my opinion is better in windows, all i have is linux at the moment.

But it is VERY good to get into Linux and other *nix distros, dont start with BSD yet, get to learn linux.... I suggest starting with RedHat or Mandrake as said by jcdux above. It is very easy to secure a simple RedHat system and run a few servivces off of it(in my case i run a web server, dns server, ssh server, and mysql server). Also if you want it "good-looking" linux has a few different Desktop managers and different themes and skins and other things you can play with, most popular desktop managers are KDE and Gnome, but there are many others that you can play with, personally i like KDE.

Have fun, Enjoy and good luck on your Linux jurny by the way you can get all of these different distrobutions from their master website... i suggest downloading the .iso files and burning them onto a CD... its the easiest way. you can get all of the isos from linuxiso.org .... or even Redhat.com

Gaming

Originally posted here by Dome
    Ok in my opinion(as a linux user myself) Linux is not really a gaming system.... so dont go into it looking for cool games and cool features like there are in windows....
    I got Quake3 and SOF running on this here linux box..

and xmms has a list of nice openGL plugins..

Linux and games work fine, and with wine you can play (after some hefty configuring) almost any windows game..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Any thing but Windows 95.

mandrake 8.2 or slackware
    hip hop rules

The Iceman Cometh
    I'm personally very fond of Red Hat, and it's an absolute breeze to install, even for a *nix newbie, such as yourself. If the Red Hat images take too long to download (I've heard many people complain about their servers) I would suggest trying Mandrake. I've worked with many different Linux flavors, and especially for a newbie, I woud recommend either Red Hat or Mandrake.

AJ

Someone said take a look at Gnome/ KDE. With that slow of a system, this may lag you more than you'd like. I do realize you're new to Linux, but try installing fluxbox, I love it and it is so much faster than KDE/Gnome (you do have to have KDE/Gnome installed because it uses their engine). http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/ -- There is a tutorial here:
    http://fluxbox.sourceforge.net/docs/...ng.php#newbies
    That will help you along. A tip for you, as you are new to Linux, if you don't find out now, you will realllll quick: RTFM (Read the Fu**ing Manual). The documentation is a great source and usually gives your step by step instructions for configuring it. to read an install text, try typing:
    less INSTALL
    usually all files that are capitalized for text files, and to quit reading the file, press 'q'. Hope this helps, and GL! I am a newbie to Linux as well
    Search First Ask Second. www.google.com

Banned

Re: Gaming

Originally posted here by the_JinX

I got Quake3 and SOF running on this here linux box..

and xmms has a list of nice openGL plugins..

Linux and games work fine, and with wine you can play (after some hefty configuring) almost any windows game..
    Correct.... but all those games run alittle bit better on windows.... just my personal opinion, i dont think that linux is really a gaming operating system, thats not what it was designed for, its more of a server/workstation OS, not really a Desktop