What does it mean?

Thread: What does it mean?

What does it mean?

I noticed the link "intrusion attempts" on the left hand side of the home page. I clicked, and it seemed like someone was trying to hack into antionline. What do all the numbers mean?
    -neutral

er0k
    the numbers are called IP addresses. You yourself have an IP address for connecting to the internet. Whenever you connect to the internet, your ip address talks to your internet service provider for validation etc. Your IP address is basically a phone number in the internet system. It is your identification.

I'll copy a intrusion entry and show you what the numbers mean I'll use // for comments.
    Activity: (HTTP_Shells) //this is the type of exploit they are useing
    Source IP: (63.108.181.201) //this is the Ip address of the attacker Source Port: (4572) //this is the port that the trafic is comming from
    Destination IP: (192.172.226.77)//this is the IP that is trying to be exploited on the antionline network Destination Port: (80) //this is the port which they are trying to exploit
    Date & Time Code: (20020705104124) //this is date and time
    Alternate realities celebrate reality. If you cant handle the reality your in, then you wont be able to handle the one your attempting to escape to.

True that zepherin. I was just gonna answer when i saw your post, ah well. But these attacks don't change all that often, so you needn't bother worrying about them.

er0k
    Originally posted here by zepherin
    I'll copy a intrusion entry and show you what the numbers mean I'll use // for comments.
    Activity: (HTTP_Shells) //this is the type of exploit they are useing
    Source IP: (63.108.181.201) //this is the Ip address of the attacker Source Port: (4572) //this is the port that the trafic is comming from
    Destination IP: (192.172.226.77)//this is the IP that is trying to be exploited on the antionline network Destination Port: (80) //this is the port which they are trying to exploit
    Date & Time Code: (20020705104124) //this is date and time
    that was a good point and a good explanation zepherin, but i think the person asking the question will have trouble recognizing the word exploit, source port, port in general, destination ports etc. I believe he/she was wanting something like this:

there http_shells are what they are going to use to try and get in.

destination IP is the identification number for the website they are trying to hack. port 80 is a port, a port is basically (basically) the type of indentification. port 80 is the HTTP port, that is the place in which the intruder attempts to enter.
    everything else was explained well by zepherin, mind you zepherin did a hell of a job explaining, but for a person having trouble learning IPs i think it was a bit advanced.