Thread: tripwhire

tripwhire

hello out there. I have just made the switch to linux (Redhat 7.3) and I've been hearing alot about a programm called tripwhire, i was just woundering what peoples thoughts on this programm was,. and if some of the Linux people, or Guru's would reccomend it to a newbie p.s. any linux tips or tricks would be great also

tripwire

Hi!
    The tripwire software checks the integrity of critical system files. If someone hack/crack your system, and change some file, tripwire send a email to u.
    BEFORE intall any system, plz patch it, and block any open ports. Uninstall the unused services and select a strong password. U can download the patchs from RedHat sites or rpmfind.org (ftp://rpmfind.net/linux/redhat/updates/7.3/en/os/i386/) mirror, but they miss some important rpms: apache_1.3.26, openssh-3.4...
    u can find them searching on rpmfind.org or installing from the sources.
    A good book is Securing and Optimizing Red Hat Linux by Gerhard Mourani. http://www.tldp.org/LDP/solrhe/Secur...-Edition-v1.3/

ByE!
    Groby

er0k
    tripwire is a very good program, i recommend you install it if you want to heighten your security. and grobyccil basically summed it up, like he said make sure you block your open ports

thanks guys ill do that, the ports i knew about, thanks for the link grobyccil, i have something to read tonight. :-)