Thread: newbie/rookie/starter

newbie/rookie/starter

Get the idea? Where do I look to learn what I need to know to do and prevent comp nasties. THANKS beforehand.

Google is a great place to look for info.
    There are also a few books I've been reading that are alright for security. (Thats what your lookin for I hope!) These books will help you understand how evil crackers (I winced typing that) learn of your system and exploit it. These books give you a general idea on the topic. (They tend to cover windows and linux)

Hacking Exposed Second Edition (ISBN 0-07-212748-1)
    Hack Attacks Denied (ISBN 0-471-41625-8) There are also more books in this series!
    Maximum Security Third Edition (ISBN 0-672-31871-7)

The best thing to do is READ!!! READ EVERYTHING! I'm sortta a newb too (I'm just starting to learn Linux) But I read lots of stuff and learn new things every day.

I suggest reading a bit on TCP/IP because everything will make more sense then. Also, just for the hell of it, get a packet sniffer and watch your computer communicate w/ others. This gives you a real life example of what all that fancy tech language is really talking about!

Another good thing is to get experience. Set up a network and test what you learn at home. Figure out how to block access to different ports and stuff. For firewalls, well, do some research. Since I have a network, I use hardware and software firewalls. Its good enough for a home Winblows ME based network. (What professional cracker would want a WinME system, and what Script Kiddy would try to hack all those firewalls?) Guess that leaves me in the middle!!!

it really is suprising to see the amount of connections going on while simply browsing the internet and using a chat program isint it? Another must would be a good antivirus program like AVG (www.grisoft.com) or Innoculate, or if you have the money, a retail one like McAfee or Norton.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

er0k
    yeah like said before, you can get antivirus programs all over the place. also, a firewall would be a good way to keep the skidmarks out. a completely free and internet based AV program is at http://housecall.antivirus.com it is a good one, they are the makers of pccillin. a decent newbie firewall you can get is at www.zonelabs.com although you can find better av and firewalls, these are both easy to use.

What OS are you using anyway? You will get alot of suggestions and a pro for every con. One thing is for sure you will get the answers real quick. I reccomend Win2k advanced server if you really want to learn networking. Although some of the *nix variations are equally good, the latter will require a lot of research, compared to an out-of-the-box solution.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

Old Fart
    You can also glean some good knowledge by reading some of the tutorials.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I am also new to all this stuff but there is this cool book that I read called: The Unofficial Guide To Ethical Hacking by Ankit Fadia. It is very user friendly especially for newbies.

Talking

I meant to say that too .....not really, good point Al.

You can also glean some good knowledge by reading some of the tutorials.

newbie/rookie info.

Thanks guys I will get cracking, oops!! I mean reading.