C++ Probs

Thread: C++ Probs

Question C++ Probs

(This post may be a bit lengthy . pls bear with me)
    I had some thing to ask u all abt C++. I may have written something similar earlier also but i think that i was not detailed that time and I had left many aspects of my query and there were a couple more things to ask and moreover there might be some new members who cud help me out. so i am posting this query.
    Well, first of all I'll tell u wht all i have done.I had an introductory course in C in my first year. After that i started C++ sometime back on my own. I followed these books: OOP with C++ by E. Blalgurusamy(TMH), Turbo C++ by Robert Lafore, and C++ Program Design by Cohoon and Davidson(TMH).(Guess I have to learn a LOT more).I am using Borland C++ 5.02 for program development.
    I am in my 5th semester now and i have to make some projects using any language and any platform by the end of this semester but i know only C++, so i'll obviously be working in it only. Now, i want my projects to be really good so that i can learn something out of em unlike some of my friends who r thinking abt submitting someone else's readymade projects. Now, i wanted to ask u three things:
    1) I have some projects in mind but i want to give them a GUI. Now, I don't know windows programming etc. and i want to devote majority of my time to the actual prog's logic instead of the graphical interface. So, is there a quick way of learning how to produce simple GUI's.

2) I am thinking of some network project like a mail client. So, wht is the right way to approach the subject. I mean cud u suggest some book or some internet resource from which i can learn network programming from the beginner's level. I currently have Network programming by Stevens with me but its difficult to read as a beginner. I do have some background in theory of TCP/IP as i read some chapters of Douglas E. Comer in my vacations last month. So, cud u pls direct me on how to wite a mail client. even linux solutions are okay but the preferref platform is windows.

3)One of my friends was telling me that i shud try to write a compiler. So, cud u also direct me towards some good resources on that too cuz even if it is difficult I'll surely give it a go as i am willing to learn.
    Moreover, cud u suggest some other project that i cud make??

Well, i have taken a lot of ur time. So , I end this post here.
    Thanks for giving ur attention towards this message. I wud really appreciate any reply from u in this regard.

have u checked out www.programmersheaven.com?! it's pretty good! there are easy examples about network-programming for C/C++.
    I've read the book "M$ Visual C for beginners" [Robert Bines]. It's an old one and u hardly can get it but it's really good! I learned a lot about GUIs!!

\"Imagination is more important than knowledge\" (A. Einstein)

Well, if you were willing to use MS Visual Studio in place of borland, a GUI is a snap. A simple one is a snap anyway. Otherwise, there are plenty of "Windows Programming" tutorials on the internet.

The thing to remember as a programmer is you should not reinvent the wheel. If you want to make your own mail client, look at some open sourced mail clients, etc.
    Living life one line of error free code at a time.

The Iceman Cometh
    So, is there a quick way of learning how to produce simple GUI's
    In my experience, most programmers can learn how to construct basic GUI's in Microsoft Visual C++/Studio in just a few hours. You must, however, be a very knowledgable programmer because certain things will work quite differently in a GUI-based environment then a non-GUI-based environment.

One of my friends was telling me that i shud try to write a compiler
    Before you go trying to write a compiler, I suggest either taking at least a course or two in compiler and OS development. Constructing a compiler is much more than simply programming, they require a lot of specific logic which you most likely won't have simply by having programmed for a while. Also, most compilers take a very long time to write (I wrote a compiler for a lower-division C++ class I teach, and it took me nearly six months to complete simply because there was so much that I had to account for, and, before that, I had generally finished any program I had to write in a week or two at the most). Most of the college students I know that have written complete compilers wrote them as their thesis projects for their Master's degree. I don't know of any undergraduate student who has ever completed a compiler. I know others who have tried, but they didn't have the time, energy or skill to come anywhere close to completing a working compiler.

I don't want to use Microsoft visual c++ cuz some of my friends tell me that the syntaax etc becomes different in it so i wud have to learn that also. isn't there any simple tuts to learn writing simple guis in MFC or OWl. i just have to make a simple dialogue with a few text areas and a send and reset button. that's all