Does anyone has any idea how can i secure my box? ? ? ?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone has any idea how can i secure my box? ? ? ?

Banned

Does anyone has any idea how can i secure my box? ? ? ?

does anyone knows how to block other users that don have the administrators access in a Win XP Pro to view other users folders and open files of other users ? ?
    Because today in 1 of my computers i have several users and each and every one has a password, the problem is that a open a CMD and y saw
    Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]
    (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\user1>

and after that i typed

C:\Documents and Settings\user1>cd..

and then
    C:\Documents and Settings\

after that i typed dir and all the user names were displayed and i typed cd and the user name and dir again and it showed me some directoris and i could open files that were in other users settings even the administrator account and i opened some zip files and some text files

How can i prevent that from hapening ? ? ? ? ? ?

Banned
    were you logged in as admin when you opened cmd?
    search google for securing xp and it will give you a much more detailed list of things to do...i dont have the energy to go through all of it. good luck.

Banned
    no i was logged in as User1 one of the other users i made.

Is the disk formated in NTFS?
    If so, was it formated in NTFS when the accounts were created?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Banned
    yes is formated in NTFS.

You saw the names (that appears to be normal), but you did not say that you could access their folders and see what is in them. That is where the security should be. Windows does not hide the folder names but should not let you access their folders, or others you have not given that user access to.
    RIP...[flip]Flip[/flip]

The Iceman Cometh
    You have to go in and make the users' directories private. The only problem is, I don't remember how. There's a button somewhere which will automatically do it for you, but it's been a while since I re-did my XP machine, so I'm not sure where it is. Worst case scenario, you can log in as Administrator, and go to the Documents and Settings folder and restrict access of each folder to that specific user and the administrator's group. That'll give you what you need, though it'll take a little while to do if you have a lot of users.

AJ

Old Fart
    If I recall correctly, it is in the administrative tools ---> security settings. Hope this helps
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

If its an NTFS directory, you can right click on the folder from mycomputer and then access the security tag.

Its quite likley that the whole disk has the 'everyone' security set, and each subfolder is getting permissions from its parent.

you should look at the root drive (d: or c and remove the everyone field (perhaps setting it to a minimum of authenticated users) remove.

On the user directory, remove inheritable permissions and set for only the user (and perhaps admin) to have rights

Banned
    in response to flipflop. in cmd i saw the directories and i was able to see the content and open the files, (ex. txt, zip)