Thread: IIS 4 hangs

IIS 4 hangs

Don't know if this should be here or in the MS Board...but here goes.

I'm using IIS4 on NT4 Sp6. All my ASP scripts run fine except for filesystemobject. I've searched around and found it might be norton doing it, but I've turned norton off and it's still not working right.

It just hangs the browser when using a property/method of the filesystemobject (namely .GetFolder).

It works fine on another IIS4 server, and my IIS5 server...but this one server's being a pain in the butt.

Anybody got anything?

On the console of the server, does it say "Please insert disc for drive A:" on the screen?

I have had many problems with this, it completely hangs IIS and is unresolvable without physically going to the console and oking the box

If you touch a floppy or other removable disc, it will hang IIS indefinitely

It's not hanging on the server...well, kinda.

It messes up the client, and the client can no longer click on any links while the script is processing.

You can open a new browser and everything goes just fine till you get to the FSO script.

No problems on the server side as far as I know. Event log says ASP Service started successfully.

Who knows..

Ok, interesting side note:

I disabled norton and rebooted, problem still happened. Don't ask me why.

REMOVED norton and rebooted, problem goes away.

Very Scary stuff....

Anywho, I'm going back to Innoculan (Yuck!) until I can find a version of norton that won't kill my web server. Thanks for the input slarty!

I don't think that NAV is your problem. In IIS 4.0, ASP can hang there for a while and crash very often. It's been a problem for long that no one can really solve.

If you call up MS, they'll try to get everything that is not MS out of there. Like they say, if you can blame it on someone else then there is no problem...

May I suggest that you migrate to Win2k with IIS5.0. The ASP hanging thing seems to have been solve in IIS 5..

Thanks, but I did figure it out.

I disabled scripting on NAV, but that obviously wasn't enough. I had to remove NAV altogether and reinstall another AV prog. I happened to choose InnocuLAN (it sucks, but it's just my intranet server)