Thread: Hiding your IP

Cool Hiding your IP

Is there a way to gain complete Anonymity on the internet? I am chaining proxy's to surf, but i still can hide my IP in email and newsgroups. I there any good programs that will do this or a way i can set up my computer to do this.

Thanks

The Iceman Cometh
    Why do you need complete anonymity? Honestly, anything over just a proxy is probably over-kill... If you want to hide your IP address in e-mail and newsgroups, find a web-based service which will allow anonymous mail. There are at least a few out there, though I can't think of any off the top of my head.

AJ

As far as for anonymous email, you could find a remailer service. Try searching Google or Neworder . If you want email anonymity that bad. you can pay a small price and use the anonymail setup at Sendfakemail . I think its like $9 to sign up last time I looked.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Senior since the 3 dot era

Re: Hiding your IP

Originally posted here by ^AfterU^
    Is there a way to gain complete Anonymity on the internet? I am chaining proxy's to surf, but i still can hide my IP in email and newsgroups. I there any good programs that will do this or a way i can set up my computer to do this.

Thanks
    There are many threads at AO about anonimity, search AO
    But remember: you are always sending from some computer somewhere, this means you will never be 100% hidden.

About proxies: if your proxy is transparant = useless
    Anonymous proxies probably keep logs -> if "someone" can read these logs you are not hidden. And many so called anonymous proxies are not anonymous.

source: http://www.proxybench.com/proxy/articles/proxyfaq.asp
    Anonymous (real anonymous!) proxy servers don't transfer the information about the IP-address of the client, and thus effectively hide the information about you and your surfing interests. Besides that, some proxy servers can also hide the very fact that you are surfing through a proxy server! Anonymous proxies can be used for all kinds of Web-services, such as Web-Mail (MSN Hot Mail, Yahoo mail), web-chat rooms, FTP archives, etc.

Is the "anonymous proxy" I came across on the Internet really an anonymous one?
    Most probably, No. We have studied more than 8,000 public proxy servers and found that only a few hundred of them are true anonymous proxy servers. Although almost half of all servers call themselves "anonymous" because they do not transfer the client's IP address in the standard way, nevertheless the address is present in their requests in other different forms and therefore they do not provide any anonymity. Besides, we found that some proxies transfer the IP address of the client occasionally, from time to time
    --> You can use webbased email services like hotmail in combination with a real anonymous proxy.
    Can a proxy make me anonymous to HotMail, Yahoo! Mail, etc, so that I can send anonymous e-mail?
    Yes. As long as you are connected to the HotMail server through an anonymous proxy server, your IP address is hidden, and all e-mail that you send with the web-forms on the HotMail server has no track of your true location. It is so for all web-based e-mail services, like mail.com, as well as for web-based chat boards like Yahoo! Chat. There is a possible trap, however: many of such services use a secure connection when you send e-mail or when you logon to your account. Therefore it is very important to make sure that your proxy supports HTTPS and configure your browser to use the proxy for the Secure protocol in addition to the ordinary HTTP. A4Proxy, a web anonymizer developed specifically for managing large lists of proxy servers, can check them for HTTPS support. TOP
    but honestly I do not see many legitimate purposes for fake mail...

No. There is NO way for your mail to not be eventually tracked. All e-mail sent has your IP address embedded in it. The question you want is how deep can I embed my IP address. Your answer: extremely deep. To do so you have two options: use a spoofer and first spoof your IP address and then send the e-mail, 2)use a good proxy through which you send the actual e-mail by sending the e-mail to it and then to the final destination. Of course you could always send the e-mail through a public computer such as a library or school comp, but you might have to get around the blockers and/or firewalls which I will not help you with. Anyway, I agree with the others, why do you want to do this? You can always be tracked...but you can make it hard. I can track you if you were to be a punk who attacked the Systems that I am supposed to protect at my work...even if you spoofed AND used multiple chained proxies....What are you doing that requires such anominity?

Dont worry, this is a learning experience, its not going to be used for anything illegal or malicious. I visited www.privacy.net and saw how much info i gave out so i switched to a proxy, which hides me when i surf. So then i started thinking about email and NG posts which have my IP in the header, so, i am trying to find out how those who do hide themselves do it.

Socks proxys are the best IMO because you can sockify any application w/ applications that is.
    There are 10 types of people in this world, The ones that understand binary and the ones that dont.

-> you gotta love that apparent absurdity... complete anonymity on the net (presumably for security reasons) by paying 9$ for it to some anonymous emailer...

-> I think that unless you are really important, a proxy is just fine. But hey, as you learn, post it to edumacate us, ok?
    Obey All Orders Without Question...The comfort you\'ve demanded is now mandatory. --Jello Biafra

im wondering how can you possibly be anonymous if you pay with a credit card which just happens to have a name on it, but whether that's your name or not is a different story, also, if you want complete anonyminity, just dont ever go online, then nobody will have to know you exist

proxy's are the easiest fastest way to be anonymous, but really what more do you need to surf the net?

i'd have to guess that other than the previous suggestions the best way to be anonymous would be to get a static ip that changes every 5 seconds or something rediculous
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

A little reading on the matter of anonimity > http://www.searchlore.org/noanon.htm
    Yours, Yinyang