BlackICE

View Poll Results: your favorite star wars char.

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • luke skywalker

1 8.33%
  • han

1 8.33%
  • chewie

1 8.33%
  • xizor

0 0%
  • G-Prime

0 0%
  • stormtrooper

0 0%
  • snowtrooper

2 16.67%
  • emporor

1 8.33%
  • darth vader

1 8.33%
  • yoda

5 41.67%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BlackICE

Banned

Thumbs up BlackICE

BlackICE is a program created by ISS...Network ICE. It is the best personal firewall available...I only recommend that you set it on periniod because there is no reason not to. Anyone, if you have tried or are trying BlackICE or ICECAP please, comment on this thread about it becuase I would like to know other people's experiences with it. My company uses BleckICE with ICECAP as do I and we have gotten wonderous support from them and it is the best product that I know of! All who have not tried it, I HIGHLY ENCOURAGE YOU TOO!

I think i would rather use other firewalls such as Agnitums or Zone Alarms from the reviews i've seen it looks like they're better.

Old Fart
    BlackIce taught me that you can indeed write code that is the equivalent of cow dung.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Ive been told by Blackice users that while its great at stopping incoming stuff,it doesnt stop any outgoing.....

Originally posted here by Bohogg
    Ive been told by Blackice users that while its great at stopping incoming stuff,it doesnt stop any outgoing.....
    I used to love old versions of BlackIce. It was really functional.
    The new version of BlackIce is very eficient and it protects what goes out and what goes in... although the system that prevents outgoing is a bit anoying... almost paranoid.. it prevents unknown software to be runned or connect the internet, which is good for someone that likes to stay with what he has but awfull for someone that likes to try new things.
    Good for people with very little experience on web and PC's, specially if they want to IRC all the time... it has also a good update schedule.
    http://sw33t.no.sapo.pt/pic/mask1.gif
    Seek balance and you will find peace.

The Iceman Cometh
    I haven't used the new version of BlackICE, but in my experience, it had some pretty sever holes in it. Granted, nearly all commercial firewalls do (especially free ones), but it just seemed a little too open for my tastes. Now I'm running a hardware firewall to block incoming attacks and I have a license for ZoneAlarm Pro for the individuals computers to block outging traffic. I know ZA isn't that great either, but I have it locked down so tight that it's nearly impossible for anything unauthorized to get in.

AJ

Banned
    I was going to choose BlackICE but instead I got McAfee.. I dont like McAfee much but it seems to do the job.. Should I change to BlackICE or would you prefer McAfee over BI?
    i dunno... outgoing communication is kind of a pain incoming it filters fine.

well my xp with blackice is pretty good (a while since I used it, so don't know about new features) but from my point of view the version I used missed the control options for the outbound traffic but maybe this has changed in newer version. But one thing I really missed what to be able to controle which ports that incomming traffic was allowed but of course this could be restricted on the os level.

I used the old BlackICE quite a bit. I t did have some pretty big holes in it and I eventually dumped BlackICE in favor of tiny's personal firewall. I did like, however the interface the BlackICE had, it was very barebones and was pretty functional IMHO. Overall, I would definatley try their new stuff if it has patched the security hole that plage the original.

On my scale of 1-10 I give BlackICE 7. Peace
    Don\'t Put me on a plate!
    I might use my magnet to Escape!

I've used BlackIce awhile back, by default port 113 was opened. I don't know if they still send out by default with port 113 still open. I like Tiny and Zonealarm.