Win98 Upgrade...

Thread: Win98 Upgrade...

Win98 Upgrade...

I am wondering, can you "downgrade" your system. Haha, I mean like I have a WinXP computer... I want to use the Win98 upgrade CD to put Win98 on it... is this possible.. or will it not work?
    Thanx in advance...

not without formating the Drive, or if you upgraded, i suppose you could add/remove programs, that is an option on my g/f`s winME

{why would you want to anyway?}
    Preep
    http://www.attrition.org/gallery/computing/forum/tn/youarenot.gif.html

Sorry you were suckered into XP, low level format original 3.11 or 95 disks or CD. If it is a new system you may have to use like Partiton Commander or Boot Commander to get rid of a 37k mfg sector that will want XP. Lacking this then run the debug script do a google search on that and remember 80 is the primary and 81 second and so forth. Good luck
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Banned
    If you don't mind me asking... "What is your reason for going back?" I ask everyone, and so far... it has been a lot of people... atleast 80% claimed it was for gaming... just curious.

Originally posted here by Fakeboy
    If you don't mind me asking... "What is your reason for going back?" I ask everyone, and so far... it has been a lot of people... atleast 80% claimed it was for gaming... just curious.
    I think it depends a lot on what you are using your PC for.
    At home I run Windows98 partly in order to run games (including some very old ones), but I also use my PC to keep information about my one man company - accounts etc.
    From a personal point of view I cannot see that "upgrading" to WindowsXP is going to make my PC more secure - after all I have a good AV scanner, decent firewall, data encryption etc, which I trust , and I know a lot about how the OS really works.

i like windows 98 more than win xp so that is why and and maybe for gaming...

I should have added that I think it is an advantage that Win98 is still based on DOS, as you can always boot from DOS to see what is really going on. But, in order to run a server, I would consider Win2k to the best option, or some flavour of *nix (depends on what you want to do).
    For running games, Win98 is more efficient than WinXP, as it has a smaller footprint.
    So you will find that frame rates etc. will be better under Win98 than WinXP.
    AFAIK to upgrade to Win98 you need a previous version of Windows installed - 3.xx or 95 will be fine. There are ways of acquiring these ...
    Once you have done this, you can set up a dual boot system for WinXP/Win98 if you wish.