hello all
Ive just spent most of my day trying to fix my boss`s windows 2k machine, which i was thinking of moving to untill the little problem today.

ok, the day before i found out that his brother was on windowsxp.nu downloading files (exe format)

roughly 2pm today, it gave up a login screen, after he logged in it gave "drive C: not formatted" in an error box, so i clicked no, the system eventually ground to a halt afer that, so i restarted, and windows gave me a corrupted ntoskrnl.exe and that i needed to replace the file, after that VMM*.vxd/dll files were corrupted too

Scandisk brought up bad clusters, and crashed serveral times

i eventually was told to install windows XP on his system, as he needed on to check his emails, and was thinking about it for a while anyway.

Anyway what i was wanting to ask, is could this be a result of accientaly running XP files in 2k, some kind of virus (of which iam unaware, as im quite up to date wiht that), or is my boss`s hard drive on its last legs and heading for failure?

And no he didnt keep backups of his important files, if he had done so, mebe i wouldnt have been all shakey trying to fix it (he was quite abusive to his brother and i felt like hiding )

thats in advance

Preep

oh and i just found out he had an evaluation copy, does that have a eval period? could this be a windows protection scheme? it was his brother that installed that too

Preep