Thread: small home server software

small home server software

hey just wondering what would be the best OS for server with a pentium 200 32 meg ram with 3 500 meg drives
    it needs to be fast but reliable (i know with a 200 and 32 meg ram it isnt that fast)
    any suggestions?
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998

hmm, well if your looking for a good deal on a server, just about any form of linux would work well, though you might want to go with red hat server cause rh is known for being easy to set up, and I doubt you want a huge and complex server.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

thanx
    i couldnt really decide between 3.11 (coz its quick loading) and some kind of linux

what exactly do you mean by 3.11? the only os I can think of with a version like that would be windows?
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

uhh yeah hehe
    i got some old novell disks to go with that too hehe but im guessing itll boot fast lol

There really is no "best" OS for anything. It depends on what you want, what you know, and what you're comfortable with. You haven't said what you want to do with it, but just about any flavor of *nix will make a fine home server for most purposes.

If you're new to the *nix world, you would probably want to start with either Red Hat or Mandrake and the bastille hardening script (www.bastille-linux.org). Bastille makes NAT and firewalling a snap on those platforms and provides a decent level of hardening for servers. On the other hand, the BSDs tend to be more popular as tight server platforms among experienced *nix users. But don't buy into a platform that's over your head just because it has a good reputation. OpenBSD has the tightest code and the best security record out there, but I can lock down a Linux box much tighter than I can OpenBSD - not because it's any better, but because I know Linux and iptables like the back of my hand. Go with what you know.

BTW, a 200 plus *nix makes a fine home server. I have a Gentoo Linux gateway in my house running on a PPro 200, and it rocks.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

You _can_ use Novell 3.11, but AFAIK, it doesn't have IP as a native protocol, so frametype translation
    is going to be an issue. It is a really secure NOS though.

Another thing to watch out for is that Novell has been notoriously tricky as far as hardware is concerned.
    Find a HCL list for your version to make sure. We had Novell at school, and we only had two boxes with
    compatible hardware and they were both on their last legs. You have been warned!

Please keep us informed as to what you're doing. Anything we can do to help...

zaddikim
    You can lead a yak to water, but you can\'t teach an old dog
    to make a silk purse out of a pig in a poke
    -Berke Breathed/ Opus The Penguin