Thread: Barcode on mobile phone replaces concert-ticket

Hi mom!

Barcode on mobile phone replaces concert-ticket

Mitsubishi Corp. introduced a new form of authentication system this week. Introduced at a concert of a Japanese band called Rip Slyme, the technology replaces ordinary admission tickets. Instead, a two-dimensional bar-code was sent to the mobile phone of those who had won free admission to the concert. Special bar-code readers were installed at the entrance of the live concert.

More information:
    AsiaBizTech (english)
    Mobile-Symbol.com (japanese)
    Planet Multimedia (dutch)

This new technology raises a few questions with me: first, how hard can it be to copy a two-dimensional image on an LCD screen? I'm not sure whether there was one specific code sent to all phones, or if there was a different code for each participant. Both have downsides, though: If Mitsubishi uses one code, you only need one leak to have everyone be able to get passed those scanners. If you use multiple codes instead, the chance of guessing a code, using random generation, increases. I wonder, how many different combinations would be practically possible? What's the resolution of a I-pod screen, and at what resolution do those scanner scan without failures?

Anyway, it's still an interesting technique. I wonder if it's going to be implemented in other validation-systems (think train-tickets and the like) as well.

I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

On a side note....wouldn't it just be easier to carry a paper ticket then a mobile phone? And once you reach the door, you hand your ticket over and that's that....

I for one NEVER take my phone when I go out to see a band, clubbing or whatever...How many of us have lost a phone when drunk or left it in a cab?

It just sounds like technology for technology's sake. It doesn't really make life easier...

Hi mom!
    Two things: Mobile phones probably will be much cheaper in the future - you already have those 'throw away' devices: once your calling-credit is gone, you just buy yourself a new phone with new credit.

Apart from that: it's the technology that strikes me, not the implementation. The same technology can replace hundreds of other, paper, validation forms - and the manufactorer seems to think it's more secure as well...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.