Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IRC chat proposal

I aggree with sarin.. I've been wanting AO to be something informative for a long time. Hogfly and louie have taught me quite a bit tho, and I am grateful for that. However, it would be nice to discuss complicated topics regularly and to be able to learn and ask/answer questions. It's also nice to be able to chill out. (that's where the 2nd room comes in)
    I mean tell me if I'm wrong. I thought the original idea for #antionline and www.antionline.com was to inform people about security and technical topics, to be a free flow of information. I mean if you want to chitchat go onto dalnet.
    My two pents.....

Ask Why?

\"The most incomprehensible thing about the world, is that it is at all comprehensible\" -Albert Einstein

Banned
    thats retarded.....#antionline isn't a "help me, I'm to lame to do the research myself" channel. Its a community chat room. And if someone WANTS to help you fine, if not, to bad get over it.

xactally... the #antionline chat thats auto-joined should be for serious things, and another room for the chit chat.... people that want to chat should be able to type /join#chat.... people that want answers shouldent need top
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Old Fart
    I agree with xmaddness. After all, AO IS a community, and banning general chatting from the main room would be a form of censorship IMHO. Why not have a 'help' room for security/computer related questions? Food for thought.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

again i say, im not proposing we ban ALL general chatting im saying MODERATE it a bit more... when someone comes in with a specific question, wait till there question is answered, (or not if noone knows)

i mean isent AO is a place where people come for help?
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

I think we are fine with just one autojoin chatroom, as attempts in the past have failed to divide the channel. As for moderators- that is the job of both OPs and IRCops. I think they are doing a fine job at what they do and we really dont need anymore of them as I usually see at least 1 active OP/IRCop at all times.

er0k
    Originally posted here by gamemaster6502
    I think we are fine with just one autojoin chatroom, as attempts in the past have failed to divide the channel. As for moderators- that is the job of both OPs and IRCops. I think they are doing a fine job at what they do and we really dont need anymore of them as I usually see at least 1 active OP/IRCop at all times.
    Gamemaster, the idea of partitioning the chats is plain and simple, and hasn't been done like this before. What we would like to do, is have one main room, that everyone connects to, another main room that everyone connects to. The techie stuff will go on in #antionline, and be very strictly moderated. You will not be kicked/banned unless you have been warned to go to the other channel. Both channels are autojoin, that way we have as many users as normal joining in both the chats. This way, the guests can come in and get help/partake in security/techie discussions, or go in the other room and ramble. IT is a good idea and should be thought about rather than just saying "well its been done before yada yada" its never been autojoin with the both channels. The reason in which the autojoin is essential, is that the same amount of people are in the channels and can participate in both discussions. The idea of the moderator is not so strict. It will be the same as it has always been except for the techie channel. IF we dont have it autojoin, guests wont always be able to get help, and the people that wanna just sit around and yak about sex or whatever would just sit in the main room. Now if we have them divided, they are in both and have no excuse but to use the right room. This way the new system is forced to work. Rather than it failing. With the autojoin, it wont fail.

AntiOnline Senior Member
    Oh geez c'mon. Let IRC be for goodness sakes... Don't complain about it! Its fine how it is.
    [shadow]uraloony, Founder of Loony Services[/shadow]
    Visit us at
    [gloworange]http://www.loonyservices.com/[/gloworange]

Banned
    Guys, your taking stuff way out of hand, basically you guys want IRC to be what it USED to be, this is long long ago, when there were about an average of 7 people there at a time and most of the chitchat was technical but also alot of fun went on.

Face it, when a community goes from 7 chatters to 30 the topic seems to change, people seem to find other people with more in commen then just computers, when that happens the topic alters.... i REALLY dont want to kick people out that are talking about everyday stuff, i mean sure sometimes it gets out of hands with the sex talks, but most of us are adults and we can handle it, and YOU ARE ALL guilty of participating in it, including me!

I started the room #chitchat before, i even had a #ChitChatBot in there that OPed people to keep some moderation in there as well, but it worked for like 4 days and died out.

I have a huge suggestion.... you dont like IRC how it is, then leave! If you want only technical talk, then come in when you have a technical questiion. But face it, i dont have a technical question 24 horus a day so i like to chit chat about everything else in my life, and get to know everyone in the chat for who they are and not what kind of computer they have.

er0k
    Originally posted here by Dome
    Guys, your taking stuff way out of hand, basically you guys want IRC to be what it USED to be, this is long long ago, when there were about an average of 7 people there at a time and most of the chitchat was technical but also alot of fun went on.

Face it, when a community goes from 7 chatters to 30 the topic seems to change, people seem to find other people with more in commen then just computers, when that happens the topic alters.... i REALLY dont want to kick people out that are talking about everyday stuff, i mean sure sometimes it gets out of hands with the sex talks, but most of us are adults and we can handle it, and YOU ARE ALL guilty of participating in it, including me!

I started the room #chitchat before, i even had a #ChitChatBot in there that OPed people to keep some moderation in there as well, but it worked for like 4 days and died out.

I have a huge suggestion.... you dont like IRC how it is, then leave! If you want only technical talk, then come in when you have a technical questiion. But face it, i dont have a technical question 24 horus a day so i like to chit chat about everything else in my life, and get to know everyone in the chat for who they are and not what kind of computer they have.
    Liran - I see what you are saying, i really do. But as sarin and myself have stated, the rooms will be on auto-join. You can talk about random stuff, and talk about puters at the same time. The reason why the chitchat room didnt work, WAS because it wasnt autojoin. People arent going to utilize something that they dont have to go to if they can just yack about the same stuff in the main room. With the new moderation and the divided rooms, the same amount of users will be able to do the same stuff, it will just be kept neat and organized, instead of a bunch of garble all rolling into one. This is just a dream me and sarin have, im not saying that jp has any priority to put this in effect or not, its just a suggestion, hence the name - site suggestions, and irc being part of the site. -er0k