Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IRC chat proposal

IRC chat proposal

ok..i dont post much but here goes...

Recentally a few of us common to the IRC chat had a talk about the lack of moderation and over abundence of the reminiscent "high school gossip." Er0k and i have talked to others on IRC and there are more that agree with us. in my eyes, the lack of a decient moderator, NOT an OP/OPER but MODERATOR causes the conversation to go downhill. I think that we should look into electing a few moderators for the chat. They should keep people on topic for the most part, and kick people that bring in non usefull and bullshit conversation.

i will say that sometimes bullshit conversation is needed. but when someone comes in with a question, a moderator should make sure they get helped. If a guest comes in and starts asking about hacking hotmail, Moderators should warn them. if they dont heed to the warning, kick/ban them. no more toying around with them. if you think this should be an OP/OPERS job...then ask them why they dont do there job.
    --SarinMage

Ok, for the partitioned rooms. whenever you join AO IRC, you are automatically taken to a single room. that room has many users on there of all skilz, intelligence, maturity and ages. Now this has become a problem. We ask that 2 rooms be auto-joined. One being named, Antionline, the other being named AOusers. the ao users be the ones that want to come in and chit-chat. Antionline the primary chat for the people wanting to learn/discuss tech/security issues in general. Now the Antionline chat should be STRICTLY moderated The AOusers chat can be basically what the main is now...except slightly more moderated. This will keep ppl from growing off topic and inhibiting ppl's learning experience. the ao irc has become what we have termed "high school popularity contest" we enjoy the irc when it runs like it is supposed to, and do not want to leave.

--er0k
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

hmm,

As an IRC chatter of both sorts (I give and receive information as much as I give and receive flak) I think its a fairly good idea. There are times when a guest enters with a perfectly valid question and is met with childish horseplay (but we love childish horseplay!!!) Its natural for problems like this to happen, however lately I think everyone is getting rather frustrated with each other over it. A small problem is turning us all against each other and that... is a bad thing.

In my world a lot of my actions affect my work, my career. At this time in my life my career happens to be very important, when I need information I have found IRC (and notably antionline) to be one of my best sources. As any of you who have read my posts know I'm long winded (sorry) I'll be blunt here.

Really, I turn to this place for advice, and support. I also hope that I have helped aid in providing advice and support to others... the community is much larger now, large enough that separation of "play" and "serious" may be needed. I dont know, really I have my own ways of reaching those I have met here to get information, but for a guest or someone new who needs info... they have a harder time. JP really is the one who has control over the forums, and although I dont know if its right I would suggest looking into some sort of separation or at least pushing the forums back into shape (more serious).

well theres my $10.25.... lets all do each other a favor and relax a bit, have fun and learn from each other eh..... and if you see Matty_Cross ... buy him a round!!
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

We the users determine how the chat room goes. If an op or oper isn't in the room and a Guest is misbehaving just do a /ignore. It is not just the op/oper's fault for all this stuff happening. Perhaps everyone should look at how they are behaving on #antionline and you will discover that its not a few that are the problem but a good 80% of us. We are a community and it will only get better if we make it better.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

I myself have become a more and more regular in the IRC channel. I am not so partial to the operator idea, because it poses more problems than it fixes.

For example. What happens when there is no mode/op/oper in the chat? Not everyone with 'godlike' powers in IRC can be on all the time, and sitting answering questions, and banning disruptive people.

Another this is, when voting, what is to say that people who alread have +v or +o won't be selected. Negative, Juridian and Liran are the IRC 'gods' I see most frequently. Giving them more power will only lengthen the totem pole for the rest of us, trying to work our way up in status at AO.

I DO however agree with the second idea. If there was an #AO-users channel, that would mostly eliminate the need for a moderator in #AntiOnline. I know that conversation can get a little risque in IRC, but it's all part of the fun. If people want to have normal "high school gossip" conversations, then let them do it in a place designed for it.

Good idea...

I agree with The_Magistrate on this,

an #AO-Users channel for chit-chat and #antionline for security discussion.

p3pC

Ninja Code Monkey
    Bwahahahaha....the ao-users channel won't work. We started with #chitchat...that died quickly. Now there is #chat....which is usually just myself. It is rarely used by others for non techie chat. And usually when I tell people to take it there they whine, bitch, etc.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

heres the thing.. there can be bullshit in the chat....jsut when a guest or someone with a questions enters....the moderator makes sure that the question gets answered.... i had a HUGE fight with some people in the IRC chat saying that this can never work its beeen tried etc etc....but i think it can work.. .if we work hard enough together we can make the chat a lot more friendly for new people.
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

It won't work.......

It's been tried and failed........too many prejudices.
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I propose that we just create an #answers chat room. If a guest comes in and has a question, whoever knows the answer tell them to join #answers (or whatever) and answer his question. This way people won't be told to leave the main channel (because no one ever does), and people can continue their conversations. Like yesterday er0k wanted me to help him buoild a computer, so we just brought it to another room and everything was fine. At the same tim I was helping someone else overclock, and again we took it to another room, and everything was fine.

The main room will always be filled with all kinds of talk. It is a sort of lounge for the AO'ers while at work. I know I go in their because I just need a break from working.

I agree that the talk does get somewhat ... umm.. "non-security related" but thats to be expected. Most of the people in there deal with computers all day, everyday.. to expect them to want to talk about it in their all the time also, is just unrealistic.

As for the Mods, they do a good job IMO. Agreed that they arn't always present when we need them, but that is to be expected. I think that there should be some chain of command that the Ops discuss as to who will get temp ops till another op arrives, then give up the temp ops to the regular ops. Seems simple enough in my mind.

Well those are my thougts.

Banned
    /me agrees with Sarin and voulenteers to become a mod