Which Is Better?

Thread: Which Is Better?

Which Is Better?

Hi,
    I was just wondering if I should upgrade to XP Pro. At the moment I am using Win98 on a P3 1GB Processor Mother Board with 256 mb of 133 mhz Sdram. Will it be worth the while and money to upgrade to XP Pro or will my existing OS be sufficient? I use my Pc for moderate programming, surfing and doing my office work. If I do upgrade to XP and fine it not satisfactory, will I be able to revert back to Win98? Will appreciate a few pointers on the subject. Thanks in advance guys.
    Ffive

Hi mom!
    A while back, I made the switch from 98 to 2k, on a similar system, to do about the same task. My system improved (fewer crashes, more stability). I've got no experinces with XP though...
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Xp is much better security wise, and the (GUI) is fantastic, but if u ain't the type who
    like's there OS looking good then i suggest u stick with ur win98, unfortunately once u
    upgrade to a higher OS u won't be able to change back.
    Welcome Yousefj32uk

XP is nice, but too user freindly, on my 400mhz processor it goes slowly. But should work fine with a 1gb processor. There are a lot of nice features in XP, but I beleive most of them are also in 2000.

I have had a bit of experience with Windows 2000, not at my house, but at the village hall!, It seemed to run just as smoothly as XP, but I like the 2000 GUI over the XP GUI.

If I were you I would go with 2000, but it's your choice.

-Prankster

PS: PPlleeaassee steer clear or Windows ME - do not go there
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

The GUI in XP and 2000 is exactly the same (if you want them to). But of course you can make XP look like some toy store. Me, I choose the classic win2000 look over fancy colors....

Now for the difference between XP & 2000. Actually there isn't much. I would say XP is win2000 v.2. There are a few additions, there is hardware support for more periferals and a larger driver database. Which means it's more likely that XP will work on your machine than 2000, if you have an old machine that is.... Your 1.3 ghz pc should have no problem with either of them.

My choice would be XP over 2000 (although I use both). I've had far less problmes with XP. But that doesn't mean I'm not happy with 2000, it's an excellent OS in my opinion! XP is just a little bit better.... And whatever OS you choose, you're not gonna wish you were back on the win98 platform. Both 2000 & XP are far better than 98!

BTW, if I were you I would install a Linux partition on my box as well. Just for the fun of it!
    ---
    proactive

XP vs 2000

I would like to second proactive.

XP and 2000 are both good as far as M$ OS are considered good. For home use they are both fairly easy, moderately stable. I use Win2K at work and XP at home and find them both easy to work with.

One should note, however, that XP was tweaked considerably for gaming. So, if like me, you tend to waste time on games requiring lots of resources then XP is a superior choice to 2K. I have had problems with a number of games playing correctly on 2K or even causing core dumps occassionally. I have never experienced this on XP.

A final note, while 256 meg RAM is sufficient for either, 512 meg is even more sufficient. If you can putting in the extra RAM will pay good dividend on either system.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

One More thing - Why the hell is this in The Tutorials Forum???

or is it just my browser (IE6)

-Prankster
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

Old Fart

YES...you can go back

First of all...if you UPGRADE to WIN XP, you CAN go back. It is an option in the 'add/remove programs' section of the control panel. You can tweak the UI to mimic WIN 98 for the most part, though I have to come to appreciate some of the features included with the XP interface...that's all up to your personal tastes. The most important factor is....NO MORE BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH!! A friend of mine at MS in Redmond had a copy of build 2600 overnighted to me on Oct. 25th, so I have been running it since the 26th and have NEVER seen a blue screen. WIN 2000, from what I am told by trusted associates exhibits the same stability. My vote is to go ahead and give it a try....but I also advise that if you like it, back everything up and do a full install and toss the upgrade (you'll need to get the full version to do so).
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Banned
    Could somebody plz move this thread to a more appropriate forum?

Thanks

Thanks guys for the info. I will give XP a try. And so sorry for posting in the wrong forum
    ffive