LAN Network Online..

Thread: LAN Network Online..

Banned

LAN Network Online..

Myself and [FB-Army] Masta are the main two network administrators for our Clan, and I have six deticated LAN machines available for anyone to game on, these are primarily available for gamers who prefer not to game on their laptop, or do not have a laptop. (I usually get 30 - 40 gamers) and you could imagine how much room 30-40 systems could take up. My question is.... How many systems could I connect to my LAN and allow access to my router to provide internet access before it actually decreases my braodband to a serious low, I mean at rates of 56K? If you have any tips or tricks that could help perform this tasks with even six computers without serious degrade, I would love to connect my LAN to cable internet access..

I know it's not up to me, but it would have been better if all you [FB-Army] guys had more recognizable names. What I mean is, I keep getting confused!

-Prankster
    \"Why is the bomb always gettin\' the last word?\" - Will Smith - Lost & Found (2005)

I myself have three systems running on my LAN, and shared internet access through a router. I also have a system I use as a server for *for example we'll use C-Strike*. I can allow the server to take in up to 6 - 9 players before I have any Lagging or so on. So, here is what I do.. I connect my LAN, Start my system as a Deticated Server, Turn on my other three systems, and connect to my server. This will allow us all to play, but I don't think you are going to get everyone out on the web without a decrease in performance, and with 40 people, your better off as a LAN, so I would suggest depending on the game to allow 10 players or LESS...

Okay, before we continue, wtf is the FB-Army? What kinda clan is this so I know what your purpose is and whatnot because by the sound of things, calling yourself a "clan" isn't going to ge good responses on a security board.

The Iceman Cometh
    I currently have a network of about 20 machines here (a few Win2k servers, AIX workstation/server, XP, 2000 and NT workstations, Red Hat and FreeBSD boxes, etc.) and I don't have any bandwidth problems at all. Granted, I have a business-class DSL which allows me 6 Mbps download. It all depends on what type of connection you have and what your a computers are doing online... certain games, for example, don't require all the much bandwidth when connected to the 'net. If I were you, if you have a regular cable or DSL connection, I would try to keep it down to 8 or less...

AJ

Ive got 3 machines on a cable connection(1.5/128) and the only time it lags is when im downloading large files or a lot at a high rate of speed...ive had all three machines playing online games together (starcraft ) and there wasn't any lag, just ran all 3 through a router then to my server which in turn is connected to the modem
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

Banned
    Originally posted here by avdven
    If I were you, if you have a regular cable or DSL connection, I would try to keep it down to 8 or less... AJ
    I would agree and remember if your computers that you have on your LAN have to go outside to connect to the server, such as NET GAMES under Counter-Strike. They must also be counted in the 8 or less...

Originally posted here by Joey_Batch_File
    I also have a system I use as a server for *for example we'll use C-Strike*. I can allow the server to take in up to 6 - 9 players before I have any Lagging or so on
    That must be the only drawback of your LAN is the incoming to contact your server. Do you disconnect your server when it is not in use by you or do you leave it as an open server, and how does that effect your bandwidth. I'm interesting in trying something like that.

I currently have 6 boxes networked up to a standerd cable line with no bandwidth problems. I run a 2000 server for now with a couple linux boxes and some older windows machines that are usually all accessing the the cable without to much decrease in speed.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"