Thread: [FB-Army] Gaming Areana.

Banned

[FB-Army] Gaming Areana.

This thread has been designed to discuss our needs and abilities to build an interconnected gaming areana on our base. The network would be from dorm to dorm with basic access to one server. My first question is: Can you configure a network over the internet and if so how difficult would it be, and how much security can we expect to get from this?

Each system connected in the same fashion as a LAN, the only difference is they are connected through their own DSL/Cable line, and are located throughout the base.

*Please to limit the length of this thread on serious posts, please... This may become very complicated*

One Way

If you are looking to make your gaming arena secure to your base alone most games offer a simple solution.

Set the server up using a standard internet account. The upload and download on the server is critical to the ability to host numerous people.

Set up the game server. Most of the games you are probably referring to are FPS types, Counter-Strike, Arena, etc. Set the server to use an uncommon port number (this will add a little bit of security) and setup a password for it (more security). Post the password, server name, and required port numbers on your base and then let the people connect to it as they would any on-line server. However, since the ports are odd no one running standard checks for servers will see you and then even if they do try to connect they will hit your password. You should be able to limit access to those you wish. Of course having an admin on most of the time can also be used to kick and ban the person who does break through. Your biggest problem will be your own users giving out the information in the clear to get buddies on so you may have to change server name, password, and ports frequently.

Please note that other games may, or may not, have similar setup features, I am most familiar with FPS games especially Counter Strike and Unreal Tournament.

This seems like it would be far easier than jumping through the hoops any military administration is going to throw up before letting you use their network.

Hope this helps.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

The Iceman Cometh
    What sort of game are you running? If you want an easy solution, you could all sign up with GameSpy accounts. One person (who would run the server) would create a room that's password protected on GameSpy and only your clan members would know the password to gain access. That's probably the absolute easiest way. Otherwise, you could set up a VPN, but that'll take quite a bit of work, and if you're not familiar with setting up and maintaining a VPN, probably not worth the effort.

AJ

Banned
    We play almost any LAN game available from Madden 2002 to Counter-Strike, we currently have an open server that anyone could connect to. However, we would like to setup our own version of a GameSpy network, instead of searching for a game. I can call up someone like Joker and say "Hey lets play XXX" click on LAN, and boom either there is a game currently running or we can start our own...

The Iceman Cometh
    Masta, if you're looking for that kind of setup, I'd recommend setting up a VPN (Virtual Private Network). If set up properly, it will give you the most secure connection you can hope for as well as complete control over who joins, how long they stay connected, what they have access to, etc.). For some info about setting up and securing a VPN, I listed some sites at the following post:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...742#post554434

If you need any specific help, figuring out what hardware/software you want to run, questions about security, etc., PM me or post something in this thread, and I'll help you out.

AJ

Would it be possible to string ethernet from dorm to dorm? Or maybe WiFi...

--Sudo

Banned
    Negative Sudo, Cannot Damage Property (No holes, modifications etc..), cannot interfere with communitcations (Wireless). We still have not got any closer to an answer. I have been researching the VPN, but still have no idea how to implement it. If anyone has any other suggestions we are still listening.