Thread: Linux - Win XP network problems...

Question Linux - Win XP network problems...

Im having problems setting up a network between my Linux redhat box and my windoze xp box. Im kinda new to Linux and cant figure out how to set this network up.. any help would be appreciated. Thx.

First, you need to tell us what the function of each box is and what the problem is.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Lets see.. my linux box is gonna be set up to be a firewall (gonna try anyway) and my windoze box is for web browsing, programming etc.. My problem is that i dont know how to go about setting this up on linux.. windoze to windoze is fine.. i just cant get the linux box to communicate with the windoze box... if you need more info i can prolly get it for you.. thx

If you just want something quick and dirty that works - no muss, no fuss - there are several Linux distros out there designed specifically for this purpose. There's smoothwall (www.smoothwall.org), ipcop (www.ipcop.org), and Mandrake Single Network Firewall (www.linux-mandrake.com). These all have nice web-based configuration tools and are designed with an appliance-like functionality for those who just want something that works with a minimum of know-how.

If you want to get your hands just a little bit dirtier, you can install something like Red Hat 7.3 or Mandrake 8.2 and use the bastille script (www.bastille-linux.org, comes with Mandrake) to configure your gateway. Bastille makes NAT and packet filtering just about as straightforward as it can get. At the moment, it only supports rpm-based distros, but for a first time setup that's probably what you should be using anyway.

Either of those options should make first-time firewall setup pretty straightforward. If you have specific questions, IM me and I'll try to help. My Yahoo messenger info is in my profile.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Thanks bro.. im running RedHat 7.3 already so ill get that bastille script you suggested.. if i have problems i guess ill check for an FAQ b4 I IM you.. thx for your help

bastille fierwall are good but not the best....... There are a lot of scripts there make the firewall stronger.....

IF you whant the perfect fierwall then take a look at iptabels (littel program) you can set a lot of stuff there...
    Allow Deny and stuff like that.....
    bastille and iptables work together.......

Surf the net for documentation about iptabels.....