Another Blow for Aussie P2P
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Another Blow for Aussie P2P

Angry Another Blow for Aussie P2P

I recieved this email this morning. It was sent by my fascist ISP...How dare they........

Dear Sir/Madam,

IMPORTANT MESSAGE TO ALL OUR SUBSCRIBERS

Please be reminded that sharing of files containing
    copyrighted material is a violation of Copyright Laws of
    Australia and other countries.

File sharing of copyrighted material is now being
    monitored by the owners of the copyrights. IDXNET, being
    your network provider, is being asked to cancel access
    of all violators.

If you are using KaZaA, or any other file sharing
    program, then you need to ensure that these programs are
    not used to download or upload copyrighted material.
    The recommended action is to uninstall these programs
    immediately if you do not know how to control the
    downloading and uploading of copyrighted material.

IDXNET Computing P/L will strictly comply with the
    enforcement of copyright laws and any users who violate
    this condition may have their accounts terminated
    immediately.

We apologize for any inconvenience this might cause.
    Thank You.

IDXNet Support
    TEL 1300 138 788
    FAX (02) 9633 9010
    WEB www.idx.com.au
    EMAIL support@idx.com.au

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    OUch.. time for dal.net

or another isp

It sure is! I just sent them a nasty email detailing my disgust at this decision. I'm sure it wont achieve anything......but it made me feel better!

god damn... that sux... time for leeching at your local lan event :-D

Don't let them push you around. Just keep on doing what you do and when they kick you off you can just go find another isp.
    Its not software piracy. Iím just making multiple off site backups.

cwk9, you are right. Although I am not a user of P2P programs, millions of people are, and ISP's are starting to see the laws change just like we are. I can understand they need to cover their butts for a liability issue (which makes no sense, because it's P2P, it's not like they are serving up any files).

I can see these file sharing apps being closely monitored, but with the sheer gigantic proportions of files available on these apps it's like trying to stop a train with a toothpick. If you are into these applications, and you are afraid they might cut you off, then just jump somewhere else, because that new "erase your data" law has not been passed yet and they are just busting your chops. It's pathetic.

Originally posted here by cwk9
    Don't let them push you around. Just keep on doing what you do and when they kick you off you can just go find another isp.

Sadly, I pay for my connection 6 months in advance. I still have 5 months left untill my account expires....and the made it very clear....NO REFUNDS! Oh well...........

Old Fart
    I would be willing to bet the court system would come down on your side....the no refunds clause kicks in if YOU cancel....they would be obligated to refund fees for unused services if the cancellation is on their part.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Conf1rm3d_K1ll, I also noticed they have a bandwidth cap too, and call it "an excessive use policy" that limit downloads to 1 GB per day, and if you go over the limit 2 mos. in a row, they will cancel the account. After reading all of that, I was like "wow." It looks like they are not the more download friendly ISP.

I would be willing to bet the court system would come down on your side....the no refunds clause kicks in if YOU cancel....they would be obligated to refund fees for unused services if the cancellation is on their part.
    Not quite... if it's a TOS violation, they will not. And if the contract says "no refunds" it means just that.

Man, that is pretty bad. Maybe you can sue them for some money, and make yourself feel better that way. I assume you are using broadband, because of that 1gb cap, how many broadband providers do you have access to? If they all do this, well, maybe you should get a cheap dial-up connection and use that to download files.