Thread: what the?????

Question what the?????

can some one please help figure this out? my computer is giving me a *ERROR 680* modem does not get dail tone. I have tried just about everything that i can think of and now i am going crazy...........any ideas i can try

Might post this in the proper forum for a proper answer...lol
    Good luck...try a different modem?
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

if you can enable the speaker modem it might help debug what is going on. on the workstation i'm on the modem got screwed up in a lightning storm and i have to unplug and replug the phone line everytime i want to connect, otherwise i get the same error.
    -droby10

I hate to point out the obvious, but, is it plugged in? In the correct port, too?

Failing that, try connecting to it on the serial port and issue some commands to it... "ATZ" (all in CAPS, nothing else (including deletes or backspaces)) and you should get back an "OK" (which will reset it to power-on defaults). After that, try jacking up the volume (ATL# and ATM# I think - you will have to look at your manual and 1) turn the speaker on and 2) turn up the volume by using those commands, inserting the appropriate numbers). You should then be able to try to make it dial... ATDT should make it pick up the phone (and you should hear the dialtone) - any keystroke should make it abandon the command and hang back up.

Hope that helps a slight bit...
    \"Windows has detected that a gnat has farted in the general vicinity. You must reboot for changes to take affect. Reboot now?\"

You could try the following:In control panel click on modems and select your modem.click diagnostics and you should get a response from the modem which will tell you which port it using ,max speed and a whole lot of other info.if you do get that then at least you know that your modem and pc is communicating.Also check if your phoneline supports tone or pulse dialup. You could also try and disable log on to network option in your modem properties.Also check if dialup adapter,tcp/ip,netbeui,ipx protocols are loaded in your network neighbourhood properties.

Hope this helps,
    Regards
    V/man
    Practise what you preach.

Check this site:

http://www.modemsite.com/56k/duns680.asp

680 - There is no dial tone.

All versions of Windows -

No dial tone: There are many possible causes of a No Dial Tone Error. ....

Have you tried plugging the line into a phone to see if you have tone? Sounds silly but...Many time it is the last thing I do is check the plumming and it should be the first.

My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

Is that modem the one currently dialed out that you are using to post this message? (Hey when it comes to IT, it always ends up being something stupid)
    An Ounce of Prevention is Worth a Pound of Cure...

I have worked on computers that have had lightning/pwr surge through the phone line input where the modem is ok except the protection diodes were fried on the modem, hence, the "no dial tone problem". Good luck, also I might try removing the modem, reboot the computer, shut down, replace modem, reboot and let windows pnp find it again reinstall all the drivers, etc.
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

plug a phone into the 'phone' jack of the modem see if the line is good before you drive yourself crazy.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”