I can't connected..to internet using RED HAT LINUX..
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I can't connected..to internet using RED HAT LINUX..

I can't connected..to internet using RED HAT LINUX..

Hi...

I just installed my red hat linux 7.2 on my pc...and..I bought external modem (AMBIENT 56K EXTERNAL MODEM)..and I've been using DIAL UP...through..my ISP..but every time..I tried co CONNECT......it semms to me..never connected......anyone will..help me out..

Cheers...

Hi mom!
    Contact..your....isp.
    search....Red... Hat ..Support
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

Banned
    hello,
    yeah, **** happens, probablt you had it installed badly or you didnt set the dial-up well
    but, anyway , check out ac1d post on red-hat, probably it may be of help!http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=232394

i hope this helps

hmmmmmmm...I've got two computers..one running WINDOWS XP....(the one I can connected to internet).......and second comp runnning RED HAT LINUX 7.2(I can't connec ted to internet)

possible that your external modem is actually a 'winmodem' without knowing model numbers etc I can't say for sure.

u might find the following site of interest as it explains what win modems are

http://www.idir.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

and as for drivers the following might be of help (course it might not...... but you takes your chances )

http://developer.intel.com/design/mo...vers_linux.htm

note intel took over ambient in 2000

have fun

Banned
    whats the problem? does it dial and you just cant do anything? or does it not even want to dial? i know alot of people forget to set up DNS settings in linux, you HAVE to set up DNS it doesnt do it for you automatically.

Also i suggest getting an updated driver for your modem,

also what program are you using to dial up? i think i used touse KPPP try that.

I'had tried KPPP...and when I press connect...it says "connecting to:MY ISP>>>>>>initializing modem....(and then it seems never connected),and I tried to go GNOME programm..>>>and I'had make configuration at "DIALUP CONFIGURATION"..when I press "debug"..it says
    WvDial:internet dialer version 1.41
    Initializing modem
    sending:ATZ
    Modem not responding
    ERROR:unable to initialiaze modem

And the funny part is I bought that modem "AMBIENT 56k EXTERNAL MODEM"..write down in the box of that modem ..I can use that for linux....hmmmmmmmmm..

I think dome is right sounds like you need a new driver. . .I had a winmodem do that to me (modem not responding. . .unable to initialise) got a new driver off the net, installed and suddenly. . .BAM it worked. . .
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

Banned
    totally suggest lookin for a new driver, google it or something, look for a linux driver specificly for your modem. Most of the time linux just uses default modem and some dont catch on to that, also make sure everything with your serial port is in check... try un plugging it restarting, letting linux remove the hardwarethen plugging it in again and letting it install it again, make sure linux is looking for the correct device as well.

Look for the obvious, first.
    Is the modem connected to a Com port that is actually enabled? What Com port is it; and is the IRQ and the IO address correct for the port.
    Is the cable correct?