Need help with compiling kernel

Thread: Need help with compiling kernel

Need help with compiling kernel

Hi,
    I'm using Slackware 8.1. Unfortunately, none of the default kernels that come with the distro support my sound card. So I'm having to recompile the kernel. When I get to the "make bzImage" step, I get this set of error messages, _

BASENAME=ymfpci -c -o ymfpci.o ymfpci.c
    gcc -D__KERNEL__ -I/usr/src/linux-2.4.18/include -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -O2 -fomit-frame-pointer -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -pipe -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i686 -DKBUILD_BASENAME=msnd -DEXPORT_SYMTAB -c msnd.c
    make[3]: *** No rule to make target `/etc/sound/msndperm.bin', needed by `msndperm.c'. Stop.
    make[3]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.18/drivers/sound'
    make[2]: *** [first_rule] Error 2
    make[2]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.18/drivers/sound'
    make[1]: *** [_subdir_sound] Error 2
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/usr/src/linux-2.4.18/drivers'
    make: *** [_dir_drivers] Error 2
    bash-2.05a#

I can't continue the compile process after this. Does anyone know what the problem is and how to fix it? Thanks.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)

*bump*

This is like the blind leading the blind, but does /etc/sound/msndperm.bin exist? Are you sure you have the whole kernel source, and all of it is from one version of the kernel? And that you ran 'make dep' and/or 'make clean' first?
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

Are you making a monolithic kernel? No modules, or are you going with modules.

Where did you get the kernel source. If its Mandrake that is your problem. (Mandrake does NOT have all the drivers)

My suggestion is go with RedHat 7.3.

However, www.kernel.org will give you a complete kernel 2.4.19 if you insist on building.

Sorry Mandrake, Slackware is short.

The only kernel source that you can trust is from the source.

Usually when I see those kinds of errors, it means I've missed some sort of dependency in the kernel config. Most of the time I've either compiled a module's dependency as part of the kernel (or vice versa) and the compiler chokes on it for some reason, or I've just flat out missed something. What exactly do you have enabled in your sound options? Check and see that all of your sound-related options are compiled as either modules or in the kernel - not mixed - and see if you get any better results.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Hi,
    thanks for you replies. I think ProblemChild has the answer. It was a dependency problem.
    For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.
    (Romans 6:23, WEB)