Thread: Zone Alarm & Norton AV

Exclamation Zone Alarm & Norton AV

Hi all,

A friend of mine told me that I have to disable Norton auto-protect then run ZoneAlram when attempting to connect! is there a good reason for that?

I use both Z/A and Norton AV....Never heard that before!!
    Your friend may be trying to get you to disable it so he can sneak a trojan past you or virus.
    Should not need to shut off norton when connecting to anything Online or Offline.

One should'nt affect the other. Unless you have not updated the definitions or patched the live update hole. Just don't let your friend use your puter. As long as you have updated both progies, you should be fine. Just remember. You can disable live update and download updates directly from Norton so you don't have to open a port or allow permission thruogh ZA for NAV. Just a little added security.....
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Thanks a lot dudes... that's waht I tough from the beginning, and I just wanted to be sure! I though there might have been a bug or some something that could've done some damage!
    Confusion, will be my epitaph...
    King Crimson - Epitaph

The Iceman Cometh
    The only time this will be an issue is when you are installing Norton AntiVirus 2003. Currently, there are some incompatibility issues between the two that need to be worked out. It's possible that your friend heard about this, and thought that it affected older versions of AntiVirus as well. Also, when you are installing ZoneAlarm, it may suggest that you turn off your virus scanner (many programs do because of the resources that are used), but I've never actually turned it off, and I haven't had any problems. So, as long as you're not using the beta of NAV 2003, you should be fine with leaving it on when you connect to the 'net with ZoneALarm running.

AJ

NAV
    have you tried a other product ? let me put it in this way :
    I am a it-supporter in germany for a big pharma industry. they use the NAV as the standard AV.
    believe me : dump this crap. it does not even find a single virus which are in a zip file. even if the funktion is on !
    on several machines, there are ( belive it or not ) several dozens of viruses, but they are not reckoned by NAV. The signatures are mostly up to date ( 2 to 3 days behind ) . I use the sophos or the german antivir ( antivir is freeware) www.antivir.de sometimes on those machines to remove the viruses ......
    I cannot belive why everybody is so convinced about the symantec av
    SYMANTEC is a NIGHTMARE !
    sell your licence in ebay and get a real av scanner , everything is better than NAV

greetings M.

Banned
    Norton's software sometimes comes with firewalls. You know how when you install many browsers on your PC the browsers sometimes seem to fight over who will be the default? Maybe Norton is trying to install another firewall and it is conflicting your other firewall.

I NEVER HAVE TO DISABLE ANYTHING IT WILL WORK SIDE BY SIDE

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    I have Norton Firewall, integrated in Norton system works and NAV 2003.
    Never had a problem, they're all nice compatible. So if you want mine opinion,
    this is a good combination.

Btw, @ DOS 3ENCRYPT, Loose the full caps in a post !!

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby