Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want to use a hardware firewall

Try this one www.e-smith.org
    You can download the iso.
    You get a gateway with Nat; ipchains; Q-mail, Apache plus a lot more.
    Just answer the questions and you are set up.
    Elegant solution for the Linux newbie.
    I have run this for 10 users on an HP Brio 433MHz Celeron 128 meg ram and 4gig IDE hard drive.

Originally posted here by dstevens1958
    You can do what I do with my DSL and get a router. Get a router with NAT and hardware firewall protection. However, there is a small price to pay using NAT (Network Address Translation), you can't host some games (let alone connect to a few of them), can't send files using MSN Messenger *gag*, along with a few other things.
    Both game hosting and sending files via MSN Messenger will work just fine with most low-end hardware (cable/DSL) routers/firewalls. I am using a Dlink currently and have no problems because it allows me to configure it to host servers. Of course it is not a flexible as higher end FW, it is definately good for a low budget.

IPTABLES or IPF is also pretty good if you have an old box laying around...

Hardware Routers

I have been using a Linksys DSL router for over six months now. The cost was about $100 US, and I have not had a bit of trouble with it. Setup was a breeze, and about all I do is blow thr dust off of it every now and then....
    Ab Hoc Possum Videre Domum Tuum.

well try the new trendmicro gatelock 200x box. its a linux webbased statefull inspection firewall / email content . you have to place it before your dsl router . If you like i give you a insight test report. I ordered one ( hopefully it arrives today, so I can test it ) :-)