Thread: Bush Administration Supports Hackers?

Exclamation Bush Administration Supports Hackers?

A very interesting article:
    http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/interne....ap/index.html

In part:
    Bush adviser encourages hackers
    Clarke: Security flaws found by users, not software makers
    August 1, 2002 Posted: 10:42 AM EDT (1442 GMT)

Computer security adviser Richard Clarke encouraged hackers, but said they should be responsible in reporting programming mistakes to the software maker.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    ya i posted it earlier this week. Kind of scary eh...

It seems like the US government is a bit confused on whether to support security people or not. I mean in one hand they try to prevent hackers from doing stuff like finding bugs, yet now they say its necessary to promote security. They are really confused.

They confuse me even more with the security issue!

Originally posted here by xmaddness
    ya i posted it earlier this week. Kind of scary eh...
    My bad. Did'nt see it. I've been out of the loop for a few.

My bet is that the government will go with who has the advantage. Just by looking at the overall security of government sites and the poor rating by the GOA of their network security. I'd say that the hackers have the upperhand. The software vendors are always last at bat. Until the vendors put the software to the test and stop pushing it into the market to one up the other software companies. This will always be a problem and a factor.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Yeah, security is always an issue with software vendors.. But the government will probably be split amongst the issue anyways so we'll wait and see what happens.

Companies like Microsoft have always used the world for their bata testing.

the government really wants everything to be secure, no real money to be made on an insecure system, and they know they can't depend on the software manufacturers to do it. HP's crampen' their style here. Uncle Sam need hackers....for now
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Old Fart
    "...for now" Prophetic words, I fear.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I can see it in the headlines now..."15 year old computer programmer finds security flaw in latest software charged for hacking" Until the whole protection-from-crminal-charges thing gets ironed out I wouldn't start hacking away recklessly. My two cents.

-the eeshman

Hi, Ho, Hi, Ho, it's off to code I go. No time to say compile or hex. Hi, Ho, Hi, Ho.

Those companies need to go back to the drawing boards and make security and not the top $ the bottom line.
    Resistance is futile, prepare to be assimilated.