Thread: Who has tried AntiVir Personal Edition?

Hi mom!

Question Who has tried AntiVir Personal Edition?

Has anyone ever tried AntiVir Personal Edition? ( http://www.free-av.com/ ) Is it any good for use in a home environment?
    I wish to express my gratitude to the people of Italy. Thank you for inventing pizza.

I put it on peoples computers that need a freebie. It does them just fine. I use Kapersky myself. But it works fine for home use. A little resource hungry, but, not near as much so as McAfee or Nortons. Plus it has the features and protection. I put it through the paces about a month ago and it did'nt miss a single bug I tossed at it.
    The COOKIE TUX lives!!!!
    Windows NT crashed,I am the Blue Screen of Death.
    No one hears your screams.

Guus,

I'm on the prowl for free AntiVirus for my home network, so I've downloaded this one and will put it through the paces..

I'll let you know how it goes...

---------------
    First Report
    ---------------

Well, from my first 30 minutes using AntiVir on my main PC, here are the major points I've noticed...

...Relevant System Specs...
    Windows 2000 Professional
    PIII 800MHz
    256MB PC133 SD-RAM

+ Its actually quite fast. It scanned over 10,000 files quite quickly (Under 5 minutes).
    - I found it to be more of a resource hog than Norton. I used to run Norton on this PC, and was still able to work on the PC (I could even play games) while it was scanning. When AntiVir was scanning, my PC did grind a fair bit. Switching to Outlook for example, took about 25 seconds.
    - The program has the standard system tray icon. However, if you wish to have autoscans run at say midnight, this creates yet another system tray icon. I found this irritating, as 1 systray icon should be more than enough.
    - On the scheduler, I found it to be rather clunky. But I'm still playing with that.

The major point that I found was, and I'm not saying that this is good or bad, is that the program utilizes command switches quite heavily. This could be good, as it gives you the power to create shortcuts to different types of scans, but it can also be bad, as the switches could make it difficult for an average user to get everything set up.

Tommorow, I will test it on another PC..

------------------------------
    Ammendment to First Report
    ------------------------------
    I decided to further test how the system ran when AntiVir was scanning, and found that I could watch a DivX flawlessy, so I feel that I was unfair it calling AntiVir a resource hog..

I was able to play a Warcraft III map, and the system handled rather well, until a battle began, and then it again started to grind, but this is expected, due to the graphics of Warcraft III (my system lags at times playing it anyway).

Completed Scan.
    Time Taken: 11:26 min
    # of Folders: 1248
    # of Files: 21027
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Hey I'd be really interested to know how it goes too, Matty. I've got McAfee, and it's eating up all my resources...I run at like 54% all the time, and it's got to be the AV, cause I don't have much else running. A good freebie would be nice...I had AVG and it worked pretty well. Please let me know what you think, and if you have any opinions of the two (AVG and AntiVir) let me know!!

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

antivir works fine. however it has a little problem with viriuses when they are packked. everything other works fine.
    i've tried av with some of the most common viruses and it has detected them all (exept one or two which where packed as i mentioned above....)

the internet update is also working fine...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    "Knowledge is the Real Power"
    \"Knowledge is the Real Power\"

meister,

What do you mean by a problem when the viruses are packed? As I have noticed that AntiVir kinda stops when it is scanning an archive... it keeps going after a bit, but I find that it sits there a bit longer than I think it should...
    -Matty_Cross
    \"Isn\'t sanity just a one trick pony anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick. Rational Thinking.
    But when you\'re good and crazy, hehe, the skies the limit!!\"

Hi
    I tested antivir- personal edition several times. I use it for tracking viruses.
    I am a supporter for a big company in germany. They use the Norton Antivirus as the standard workstation AV. The NAV does not detect so many viruses. I installed on several machines the antivir for testing purposes. well, for the norton AV engine the systems were clean ( even with the most updated viruspattern ) !!!After I installed the antivir without the guard option, and started a search, alot of viruses had been found on those so called clean pc´s ! . The cleaning of files is ok. but you should not try to desinfect the file, delete the file anyway and get the file from your originator source.
    I do not like the guardoption, it takes some resources away but the system works quite well.
    for all those symantec freaks... go ahead and sell your nav license in ebay. it´s not the money worth you spent on it .
    better than antivir oder nav ???
    yes :
    first get sophos , it has the highest detection ratio, but the poorest desinfect performance, their policy is : delete ! reinstall or copy from the source !!

At the moment I test this hardware ( at the moment a 24 H firewall penetration test is running ) :
    second, get the first hardware firewall with virus scanning for the small business / home office .
    trendmicro gatelock 200x combines staefull inspection firewall and trendmicros antivirus with email content checking system in a box. Its an embedded webserver based on linux ( http server ) .
    It gets automaticly the updates from trendmicro.
    for a great price 150 $
    hardwarefirewall included with antivirus capability for this price is unbeatable( normally you have to pay several thousand $ for a single hardwarefirewall!!!)
    but .... it works only thogether with broadband connection ( cable / tdsl and so on.. )
    greetings m.

Old Fart
    Guus...as an alternative, take a look at AVG, free from www.grisoft.com . Free updates that, along with scanning, can be scheduled at your convenience. Just wanted to give you an alternative to look at.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

it's right that AntiVir takes more than usual time when scanning archieves but for home enviroment it 's good alternative to other comm. products