Cd burning problems in windows

Thread: Cd burning problems in windows

Unhappy Cd burning problems in windows

Hey, recently my parents cd-rw stopped working, when I put a blank cd in the software showed it was there, then all of a sudden it dissapeared and said it couldn't burn it. I thought maybe it was the drive so I took it back under warranty and got a new one. Now I have a brand new cd-rw and the exact same thing happens, two different brands too. I have tried CDR-Win, Roxio, and Click-n-Burn Pro to burn cd's, all with upgrades, and nothing has worked so far. As for drivers, all the company website says is that I should be able to use the windows default drivers. Currently the pc is running Windows 98SE, I was wondering if maybe something got messed up with the drivers and if so, how do I go about re-installing them? I've tried through the hardware wizard but it just says that the ones on my hard drive are fine. Also, every once in a while my vmm32.vxd won't load, which is because of a scanner I have, but I was wondering if this could be part of the problem.

Oops, the cd-rw's were a Ricoh and the new one is an LG
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

i got such problems a few month before too, but i know why: i messed up with the DMA-driver! since i had installed a wrong DMA-driver and enabled the DMA-support on my CD-burner i had the same problems as you. after this i disabled the DMA-support again i still had some problems with Nero but Roxio WinOnCD 5 worked!!! i got a new (good!!) version of the DMA-driver, installed it, and still had problems with Nero. so i formatted my hd and now everything works fine.

i don't know if this helps, but i hope so.

\"Imagination is more important than knowledge\" (A. Einstein)

Re: Cd burning problems in windows

Originally posted here by Pecosian
    As for drivers, all the company website says is that I should be able to use the windows default drivers. Currently the pc is running Windows 98SE, I was wondering if maybe something got messed up with the drivers and if so, how do I go about re-installing them?
    The drivers would be located in the I386 folder of your windows 98 CD. I would suggest copying that folder to your PC, and direct the install manager to the I386 folder when searching for drivers.

The Iceman Cometh
    The drivers would be located in the I386 folder of your windows 98 CD.
    Actually, they would be located in the Win98 directory. The i386 directory is only for NT-based OSes. :-) Just thought it might help.

The driver for the actual CD-RW shouldn't be an issue considering that you are have tried two different drives, therefore using two different drivers. The problem you are describing is most likely either what [4tt4ck3r] suggested and be a driver problem for a different component that works with the CD-RW or is a hardware problem.

In my opinion, this sounds more like a hardware problem then a software problem. You should check to make sure that you installed the hardware properly. Ensure that the master/slave settings are correct on each of the drives on the same IDE cable (for instances your CD-RW and a regular CD-ROM if they are on the same cable). Also, are you certain that your power supply can supply enough power for the new drive? I had a similar problem with a hard drive at one point because I was overtasking my power supply with too many components.

AJ

this has nothing to do with your problem but i had a problem with xp it was almost similar to yours but my removable drive wasnt connecting to the motherboard all the way so when i have to burn a cd i have to hold it in or burn it else where. at least until i get smart enough to get enough energy to fix the problem lol

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Did you recently upgrade your Internet Explorer? I bet you did. This has happened to me in 98se and the only way i got it to work again was by going back to IE 5.5 (or 5 can't remember). Just goto the add/remove programs and choose Internet explorer, it should allow you to revert back to your previous IE.

Thx for the advice, I've been out all day but I'll look into it tomorrow morning.
    Reality is the one who has it wrong, not you

A similar (sort of) thing happened to me. Only i hadn't ever been able to get my burner to work. A friend of mine who worked on XP even came in and looked at it, and decided there was absolutely nothing wrong. (BTW, this was a brand new computer). Finally i figured out that i (oops!) had been using the wrong kind of CD-RW. I wanted CD-R's, not CD-RW's. That probably isn't your problem, but sometimes the simplest things are the issue at hand :-)

spitfire
    \"One wonders what would happen in a society in which there were no rules to break. Doubtless everyone would quickly die of boredom.\" -Susan Hawatch

Another program you might want to use is Record Now Max. It's a trial, but it is a really good program, much better than Easy Cd Creator 5. You can find it here: Http://www.stompinc.com/recordnowmax