Motherboard connection...

Thread: Motherboard connection...

Question Motherboard connection...

My sis is building a computer and there is a connection on the case called M/B SW. I was just wondering if any of you know what this switch is for?

Well the board has a positive and negative led connector for the reset. The case also has a reset connection.

The problem is... she doesn't know where to connect the M/B SW to the motherboard and once that switcth is not connected, nothing comes on. But, she haven't figure out where to connect it on the board cause she can't get the computer to start up yet.

Any ideas or advice will be appreciated. Thanks all...

Guidance
    - The mind is too beautiful to waste...
    Cutty

The Iceman Cometh
    Have you checked the manual for the motherboard? Generally, they will give all of the information necessory for connecting cables, setting switches and setting jumpers. Each motherboard is different, so if you want help, you'll probably have to give some more information. What motherboard is your sister using exactly? Also does she have the manual for it? If not, you can probably download one in PDF for her from the motherboard manufacturer's web site. With some more info, we'll be able to help you out.

AJ

I think MB SW is where the power SW cable connects to...
    You\'re either a 0 or a 1, alive or dead

Thanks guys...

Originally posted here by avdven
    Have you checked the manual for the motherboard?
    Well avdven, the motherboard isn't the problem. She has all the info for the motherboard. The problem was the connection coming from the [B]case labelled M/B SW[/B] , she did not know where to the motherboard to connect that connection.

Thanks anyway....
    Cutty

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Well, if its an ATX motherboard there should be at least 5 different small plugs to plug into the motherboard coming from the case.

• Hard disk drive LED (HDD LED or MLED or IDE LED label) 2 prong
    • Speaker 4 prong (speaker connector)
    • Remote SW (or main MB switch, or ATX Power switch, I think this is the one your asking about) 2 prong
    • Reset Switch (reset SW) 2 prong
    • Power LED (shows the power is on) 3 prong

There may be more such as SMI leads etc.. but they are not on all boards.
    Because the cases are not usually manufactured by the same company as the mother boards, the labels are usually different. To help orient the connectors look for a small triangle on the connector, this will connect to pin one on the board. Usually in the manual pin 1 is denoted by a cicle on the diagram instead of a square. If you have trouble figuring out which connector is for what, just trace it back to the source its coming from. You may need to do a little bit of guessing until you get the wires right. Sometimes you will need to actually try powering up the computer and check out the lights and reset and power buttons on the front. Hope that helps.

Thanks Louie and xmaddness, you guys hit the nail on the head. I will get her to try that.

Cool
    Cutty