cisco 2600
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cisco 2600

cisco 2600

Ok typical situation,working for this company that has a cisco 2699 series router, no one seems to know the password.Rather then resetting it I first wanted to check and see if there is a default username and password.So if any one know them would you let me know?

I did a 2600 router installation once and I had to enter my own password (or enable secret password)
    There whas no default password.
    I belive you can download a PDF file from cisco, if not check if you have the cdrom and console cable.

if you haven't already, you might try "cisco" sometimes while setting a router up a lot of admins that i have seen set the password to that, then *intend* to change it when done, sometimes forgetting. which to me is just poor administration IMO, but that stuff keeps money in my pockets. if that does not work, then while you stare at the prompt for a password, which nobody seems to remember. well...a reset is really the only way to fix that issue.

i've got a bunch of different cisco gear and that is the only way that i have come across. unless somebody knows something that i don't??? (i don't claim to be perfect, just damn close )

btw-
    http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/474/pswdrec_2600.shtml
    just making some minor adjustments to your system....

This will more likely than not give you the help you are needing...no credit card needed =)

http://routergod.com/psychic/

-Wizeman
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

Wizeman...that was pretty entertaining.

But it is also true...there is NO such thing as a default password for a cisco router. If there was, it would be a bit easy for people to get in don't you think. Doing a reset as demonstrated by the link above will not even cause you to lose your configuration, but it will require to have console access.

Ahhh...the power of physical security

No default password for Cisco 2600 but you can try this
    Cisco hash decrypter

Originally posted here by faust
    No default password for Cisco 2600 but you can try this
    Cisco hash decrypter
    Yes, but that is assuming that you already have a copy of the config. Also, it only works on the Cisco type 7 passwords, which does not include the secret password to config the router.

Wizeman thanks for the link it is very funny yet informative...!
    My other Computer is a 4000 node Beowulf Custer

OK,
    lets start to write down,
    connect to the router via serial 9600 baud xon/xoff
    restart your router by power off/on , press break key with leaving it until you will get to the rom prompt>

then write config-register 0x2142
    then reload

after the boot will start it will ask you for init setup press no
    after it will finish the boot process just type enable and enter and walla no password.
    then invoke conf t
    enable password xxxxxxx
    then config-register 0xs2102
    exit
    write mem
    reload
    enjoy......
    Unix, Network Security Engineer

yea you can do the same exact thing as above but i like to do it w/ a rollover cable into the console port