Flash Nav Bars

Thread: Flash Nav Bars

Flash Nav Bars

Hi all I have recently been given the job of doing my companies website.
    I am pretty good with HTML coding (Basics to Intermediate) and have in the past few weeks started to play with FLASH.

I have made a few basic intro movies but was wondering,

How do I go about designing a flash nav bar with some advanced rollover techniques. I know that this is a broad subject and could go on for years, but any basic tips or help to get me started would be really appreciated.

Thanks again.
    The Worst Foe Lies Within The Self

Thats funny I just bought flash mx today. I dont know a darn thing about it yet but im learning.
    [glowpurple]Ctrl Alt Delete is the answer to lifes problems.[/glowpurple]

Flash M0nkey
    rollover animations are easy - all you need is a lil bit of actionscript

on(Rollover){
    _root.movieclip.gotoAndPlay(2);
    }

and then to make it stop when you rollout

on(Rollout){
    _root.movieclip.gotoAndStop(1);
    }

now as long as you leave your rollover movieclip's first frame blank and put a

stop();

function in the first frame and

gotoAndPlay(2);

in the last frame then while your mouse is over the button your movie will play and once you move it off it will vanish

hope that helps although it ain't too detailed

v_Ln

There many ways to do that and get all kinds of great effects !

Here is good site to get some tips and hints !

Good luck !

http://www.flashkit.com/

all you need is a lil bit of actionscript
    Actually you don't even need actionscript for simple buttons! (that well...do nothing except change...=P).
    Just create the button, turn it into a button symbol, then change the up, over, down and hit states. If you need it to link somewhere, then just go to your main timeline, select the button, the add a little bit of actionscript. Eg.

on(mouseDown){
    getURL("http://www.antionline.com");
    }

Note: you have to have the http in the address if it is located on a remote server.

oh and valhallen, i believe your way of making buttons is well...not efficent. Why are you using a movie clip to act as a button? There are times you must do this, but for a simple navigation menu with simple animations, it's alot easier and quicker to make a button.

Oh and on a last note, if you want some animation in lets say...your over state, then just go to the overstate on the button you want to animate, then insert a movie clip into that frame.

Cheers!
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Flash M0nkey
    I realise that using movieclips may seem a lil bit like over kill and i agree that the 4 frames alowed for a button is enough for simple buttons - but in order to create more advanced mouse overs - like having objects fade in etc then you have to use movieclips

v_Ln

I realise that using movieclips may seem a lil bit like over kill and i agree that the 4 frames alowed for a button is enough for simple buttons - but in order to create more advanced mouse overs - like having objects fade in etc then you have to use movieclips
    Sorry if i'm being critical of what you say, buT:
    You can make advanced button animations with movie clips nested inside of buttons. I just think that having buttons is alot easier for people who view the fla file to know which ones are the up, down, hit states.
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Flash M0nkey
    I guess its just a dif style
    when i work in flash it is very rarely my files will be over 1 frame as i control everything through mc's
    you might say that this makes it very difficult to adjust but i think its easier - i use a descriptive name for each mc and place everyone on a seperate layer so they're easy to find if i need to change anything - plus you can then alter one movie clip without effecting any of the others.....

v_Ln

yeah im not incredible with flash by any means but i also found flashkit.com to be a dope resource. top off your coffee cup and check it out sometime.
    Madness has its toll. Please have correct change. *M0nstr*