Thread: either horiz or vert scrolling not both?

either horiz or vert scrolling not both?

Does anyone know how to enable vertical scrollbars while disabling horizontal scrollbars?

I have googled etc with no luck. All I find is on, off, or auto. I can do those but have a site that has a <DIV> that I want to enable only vertical scrolling for. It's prolly easy for IE only but I gotta be cross-browser compatible.

Thanks,

GreekGoddess
    You might try fixing your content to your page so that horizontal scroll bars don't even become an option. Try an override on a broswers default settings with CSS to fix the font settings to whatever works without a horizontal scroll option. It would be better to try and see an example of what you are trying to do? Are you using iframes or frames? Or are you talking about the use of your whole page? If it's the whole page that is scrolling horizontally, you might want to check revamping your properties to display better on different resolutions.

Here is a link to cross-browser compatibility:
    http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/browserkit/

Sorry if that seem a little rambled, I'm exhausted.

You might try fixing your content to your page so that horizontal scroll bars don't even become an option.
    The layer (DIV) is formated to only require vertical scrollbars. However the horizontal ones appear they just don't have left right movement. In IE they are kinda greyed out but still on the page. In NS & Mozilla they are full width with no movement. There is no horizontal scrolling and there is no need for any which is why I am trying to turn off the d@~m! horizontal scrollbars.

Try an override on a broswers default settings with CSS to fix the font settings to whatever works without a horizontal scroll option.
    Umm okay... I am familiar with CSS but not aware of the syntax to hide just the horizontal scrollbars. I am able to have scrollbars on, off, or Automatic but can't find control over horizontal versus vertical. Hence this thread - (no sarcasm intended -- just frustration rearing its head)

It would be better to try and see an example of what you are trying to do? Are you using iframes or frames? Or are you talking about the use of your whole page? If it's the whole page that is scrolling horizontally, you might want to check revamping your properties to display better on different resolutions.
    Page doesn't scroll. No frames in use. Yuck hate frames. No i-frame, gotta be NS & Mozilla friendly my audience is firespinners and their a pretty independent bunch.
    Here is a link to the page in question.
    The text navigation is just placeholder stuff but it works until I get my buttons get finished. Click -- Additional Info Button > Form Button to see the layer in question. It's a non-functional form that will use a CF script to sendmail.

Sorry if that seem a little rambled, I'm exhausted.
    Thanks for the reply. Not any more rambled than my orig post.

GreekGoddess -- after re-reviewing your iframe ?/comment I thought I'd install a couple of other browsers and see how things looked in other but IE.
    In search of an i-frame site I went to your journal layout section. Heres my results
    Looked absolutely awsome in NS 6.2 ; Mozilla; and IE 6.
    Looked terrible in NS 4.7.

I did the same at my site referenced above with these results.
    Looked as I designed it in & all hide/show layers worked correctly in NS 6.2 ; Mozilla; and IE 6.
    Looked terrible in NS 4.7 & none of the hide/show layers worked.

So -- I feel like kinda owe you an apology for scoffing at i-frames as not cross-browser compliant. They are now but they weren't when I last used them for development work when NS 4.x was the latest from Nescape.

btw -- I like you layouts and think you have a pretty good eye for design. thanks for your input on this problem.

If you set the <div> tag on auto, and force wrapping, then it will work.
    script language=\"M$cript\";
    function beginError(bsod) {
    return true; }
    onLoad.windows = beginError;

Lightbulb

If you set the <div> tag on auto, and force wrapping, then it will work.
    Absolutely 100% on target! THANK YOU!!!
    This is exactly what I was looking for.
    greenies for you....