Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: " lilo gone on reinstalling win 98 on C drive"

Unhappy " lilo gone on reinstalling win 98 on C drive"

hello :P freinds
    well i have a problem,,,, so herei go...

well i had win98se and RH linux 7.2 on my system,,,
    due to some internal problem on windows i reformatted my c drive and again reinstalled windows 98 se ,, now to my horror now LILO prompt doesnt comes on boot time and it stratight awayloads win98,,,
    can any1 out here suggest how to getback LILO prompt back without uninstalling RHlinux7.2 ,,,
    for ur info i have installed linux on MBR

any help is highly welcome
    thanx in advance
    vpandiya

Windows likes to think that it should be the ONLY OS you're running on a machine, so it overwrites your MBR. Did you make an emergency linux boot disk when you installed RH like a good sysadmin? Use that to get back into your linux partition, and then just reconfigure LILO for your new Windows partition (you may not even have to change anything...Window's keeps a pretty standard install) and then run LILO again. If you didn't make a boot disk when you installed RH, you may still be able to create one if you know the partition information. For help on creating the boot disk, take a look at:

http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Bootdisk-HOWTO/index.html

Good luck!
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

If you don't have a Red Hat boot disk, you can also probably use a Slackware install disk to access it as well. May not be pretty, but it will get the job done.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

The Iceman Cometh
    The best way to avoid that in the future (though it's kind of late for that now) is to create a third partition on your hard drive. Create the third partition as the C drive and make it small (I generally say about 20 MB or so, though you don't even need that much). Then install Windows to one of the large partitions and Linux to the other. That way, all of your boot information will be stored on the C partition, so even if you format and reinstall either the Windows or Linux partition, you will be able to access the newly installed version.

AJ

That won't prevent Windows from overwriting the master boot record of the hard drive, which is what causes the problem. Lilo doesn't store any boot information on C drive; it's all in the MBR. AFAIK, there is no way to prevent it from happening if you re-install Windows after Linux. Best thing is just to keep a Linux boot disk handy.

I was always kind of partial to the OS/2 boot manager, which used a primary partition to intercept the boot process and then hand it off to the appropriate bootable partition. No messing with MBRs, so no amount of Windows reinstalls could hurt it. Just mark it active again with fdisk and you're back in business. No muss, no fuss.

well i had win98se and RH linux 7.2 on my system,,,
    due to some internal problem on windows i reformatted my c drive and again reinstalled windows 98 se ,, now to my horror now LILO prompt doesnt comes on boot time and it stratight awayloads win98
    The reason LILO does not load from the MBR anymore is because it has been overwritten by the Win98 boot loader as has already been stated in posts above. Windows is greedy and overwrites the MBR whenever you do an new install. There is no way around this. This is the reason you always install Windows first on a dual boot system.

The other unfortunate thing about Win98 is that when you do a new install it won't let you use partitions that aren't FAT32. It forces you to reformat these partitions to FAT32 thus erasing anything that was already there. Don't you love MS?

can any1 out here suggest how to getback LILO prompt back without uninstalling RHlinux7.2 ,,,
    for ur info i have installed linux on MBR
    Yes this can be done from a Linux boot disk as stated above but it should be pointed out that if you want Redhat back you're going to have to reinstall the whole OS anyway because you killed it when you reinstalled Win98. So even if you reinstalled LILO it would only be able to boot Win98 because your Redhat install is gone. It would probably be quicker to just reinstall Linux rather than messing around with LILO anyway. You can install RH 7.2 in about 10 minutes once you've got the hang if it. Good luck.
    OpenBSD - The proactively secure operating system.

Yes this can be done from a Linux boot disk as stated above but it should be pointed out that if you want Redhat back you're going to have to reinstall the whole OS anyway because you killed it when you reinstalled Win98. So even if you reinstalled LILO it would only be able to boot Win98 because your Redhat install is gone.
    NO, NO, NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......................

Sorry, but this is wrong. The Red Hat install is untouched and perfectly fine. All you have to do is boot from a floppy and run /sbin/lilo. That's it.

How do you figure Red Hat is gone? Windows hasn't touched any of the partitions it's installed on.

NO, NO, NO, NOOOOOOOOOOOOO.......................

Sorry, but this is wrong. The Red Hat install is untouched and perfectly fine. All you have to do is boot from a floppy and run /sbin/lilo. That's it.

How do you figure Red Hat is gone? Windows hasn't touched any of the partitions it's installed on.
    Dude, if you installed Win98SE after installing Linux and you managed to keep your Linux partitions intact I would very much like to know how? Every time I've tried to do this Windows either gives you the option to:

1) Format non FAT32 partitions/drives
    2) Quit the install

I'm not saying you're wrong but if you know how to get around this problem, please share it with us.

I've installed both Windows and Linux (and OS/2) literally hundreds - if not thousands - of times over the last 10 years, and Windows has never complained about the existence of non-FAT partitions as long as there is a FAT partition for Windows to go on. The only time you would see that message is if you don't have an appropriate FAT partition available and have no free space. If you're seeing that, then you most likely have your drives improperly partitioned - like putting Linux on the first partition or something. What does your partitioning scheme look like?

I've installed both Windows and Linux (and OS/2) literally hundreds - if not thousands - of times over the last 10 years, and Windows has never complained about the existence of non-FAT partitions as long as there is a FAT partition for Windows to go on. The only time you would see that message is if you don't have an appropriate FAT partition available and have no free space. If you're seeing that, then you most likely have your drives improperly partitioned - like putting Linux on the first partition or something. What does your partitioning scheme look like?
    Weird, I always get this message and I've had plenty of practise installing OSs myself and I've never found a way around this problem. I'll give an example to make things clearer.

I had an Intel box with a 30GB HD split straight down the middle with 15GB Win98 and 15GB Linux (Redhat, Slackware, Suse...take your pick, I tried a few of them). I decided to reinstall Win98 because it was having display problems and I got sick of messing around with the driver configs.

So I chuck in my official (I can't believe I actually paid it) Win98SE CD and reboot to reinstall windows. The install program goes ahead and does its thing but before the actual install starts you get a message like, "Unrecognised format on drive whatever". The only options are too reformat to FAT32 or exit the install. One of my friends at work who is an experienced sys admin says exactly the same thing.