Thread: RH linux after windows me

Question RH linux after windows me

hi there.

i have win me on my box and i want to install linux.
    can i do this ? i have only one physical h.d , with two partitions.

if i can , how should i do it ?

The Iceman Cometh
    Simply boot off of the first Red Hat Linux CD and it'll take you through the process step-by-step. I suggest you back up all of your data in case something happens during partitioning which causes you to lose your data. There shouldn't be any problems, but it's always better to be safe then sorry...

AJ

It is very possible... assuming that one of the partitions arent being used you can just install RH Linux in that one. Just plop the CD in & follow the easy instructions at bootup.

With Win ME there are no problems. You should only verify that Win ME is on the first partition (in order to work properly, it's necessary) and that the second partition begins before the 1024th cylinder of your hdd (I think it's about 8 GO, but verify with a program like Partition Magic Pro). Resize if necessary because if the linux boot sectors are after the 1024th cylinder you, LILO won't work and you will have to boot with boot disk.

More explanations about this little problem at http://www.antionline.com/showthread...070#post550070
    it's an article from me and there's a little error (sorry), you will have to invert "cylinder" by "sector" and "sector" by "cylinder" in lines 46-48.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Kwiep
    I suggest making two partitions after the win ME partition. One at least 1 gb to install RH and one twice your RAM size for the swap space. Use diskdruid wich should be in the redhat install thingie. Don't forget to set the mount point of the 1 GB partition to "/" else it won't go further (see diskdruid for that).
    Double Dutch

I don't know if you already know this,but make sure that all your hardware is supported for RH or there are drivers. I had no problems installing RH 7.3 with ME, but I have two hard drives one for linux the other for windows. I prefer the boot loader grub, I had problems using lilo when I was using RH 7.1. Grub fixed that when I upgraded.

10x all of u for the help .

i have two partitions of 10 gb each.
    according to kisscool i have to resize th efirst one that contain the me edition.
    i dont think i can do it without reinstalling the win.
    i have read some installation guides the 1024 stuph is not mentiond there !!

when i have tryed to install its stucked in the file transfer stage.

big big prob..
    U CANT TOUCH WHAT U CANT SEE

There are a lot off ways to do this.
    go to
    http://yolinux.com

Try SOT Linux; it lives happily with ME.
    you can get the .iso from www.sot.com or Tucows