Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows 98 + XP

Windows 98 + XP

Hi
    I am going to install windows xp on my 60gb hard disk and then windows 98 on my 6gb hard disk. With the windows xp one being the master
    Problem is I am not sure how I would go about setting it all without them both trying to install themselves on the same hard disk, also how would I get it to give me a choice of os at the start?
    Please can you help me out with this problem
    Thanks for your help
    cheesegoduk

The Iceman Cometh
    I would recommend installing Windows 98 first. That should make it easiest. Also, ensure that when you install XP that you do not use NTFS if it's it he C drive because Windows 98 has to be able to access the boot drive to start. Once you have both installed, if Windows 98 doesn't show up on the boot menu, edit the boot.ini file on the C drive and add it to the list of OSes to choose from.

Aj

Thanks, yeah I will keep the win xp drive has fat32 because I might need to access stuff on it from the 98 hard disk, Does windows 98 allow you to choose where to install it? It's been a while since I have done it, I don't want it on the c drive because xp will try to take it over

If you're going to use the FAT32 file system, you can actually install both versions on the same partition in different directories and they will live together quite nicely. (i.e., put Win98 in C:\win98 and XP in C:\winxp on the same drive)

The somewhat better (IMO) solution is to create two partitions on the disk, one primary and one logical. Install Win98 first onto the first partition, then install XP onto the second partition using NTFS. XP will automatically detect your existing Win98 installation and add it to the boot loader menu. The advantage to this method is that both OSes are kept totally separate from each other (98 won't even know XP is there or be able to see it), but the disadvantage is that it wastes a lot of disk space.

If you want to avoid wasting the space of having all your applications installed twice, you can create a third partition for applications, but it will have to be FAT32 so Win98 can see it, and you will lose the advantages of NTFS.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Old Fart
    I'm just gonna repeat to you how I did it. First I created 2 partitions (size is your discretion). I then installed 98 to the second partition by simply changing the drive letter ( D: ) when installation asked me for location. After I got 98 completely installed, I inserted the XP CD and did a full install on the C: drive. On start up, system askes which OS to boot, with XP set as the default. Just my .02 worth.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Thanks folks!

According to "problemchild" opinion, both can reside in the same partition. But, i think both OSs have 'Program Files' folder get installed by default during OS installation. Both OSs may arrive at a conflicting point though the parent folder i.e, C:\Win98 (called SystemRoot in WinXP) differ.

Do they.
    ragmyn

At the heart of the Internet culture is the force that want to know everything about you.

Free download but you might want to try this using VM ware. Then you can run both OS's plus Linux FreeBSD and anything else Intel based at the same time.

Not sure of pricing if you decide to keep it.

Or here is another way. Make three partitions. First win98(Fat32), second WinXP(NTFS), third files(Fat32).
    [gloworange]\"A hacker is someone who has a passion for technology, someone who is possessed by a desire to figure out how things work.\" [/gloworange]

According to "problemchild" opinion, both can reside in the same partition. But, i think both OSs have 'Program Files' folder get installed by default during OS installation. Both OSs may arrive at a conflicting point though the parent folder i.e, C:\Win98 (called SystemRoot in WinXP) differ.
    Theoretically, I suppose it's possible that there may be some problems in Program Files, but I've never had any problems with it. Then again, I haven't used this particular configuration very much. All my multiboot setups use separate partitions, which I always recommend as the better way to go anyway, so it's almost a moot point for me.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!